Punch-Out!! © 1984 Nintendo.
The player assumes the role of a green-haired boxer, who must fight his way through six increasingly larger-than-life boxers to earn the title of 'Champ' in this superb 1-on-1 fighting game.
During matches, the player's boxer is viewed from behind as a wire-frame (so the player's opponent can be seen). Players must time their punches, dodges and blocks in order to defeat the opposing boxer.
The player's opponents are each rendered as humorous cartoon-like caricatures - adding much to the game's atmosphere - and each boxer fights in a slightly different style, forcing players to adapt to their strategy. The top monitor is used for statistics while the bottom one is used to display the actual fight.
Game No. CHP1-UP
Main CPU : Zilog Z80 (@ 4 Mhz)
Sound CPU : Zetex N2A03 (@ 1.789772 Mhz)
Sound Chips : Zetex N2A03 (@ 1.789772 Mhz), Sanyo VLM5030 (@ 3.58 Mhz)
Players : 1
Control : 4-way joystick
Buttons : 3
=>  LEFT BLOW,  RIGHT BLOW,  KNOCKOUT BLOW
Punch-Out!! was released in February 1984 in the arcades.
Punch-Out!!'s innovative game-play and memorable graphics and speech did much to ensure its popularity throughout the 1980s.
The game's title music, is actually the 'Gillette Look Sharp March'. This jingle, originally heard in Gillette radio and television commercials, was later used as the theme song to the Gillette Cavalcade of Sports, which aired boxing matches. The music can also be heard in the 1980 boxing related film 'Raging Bull' during the scene where Jake LaMotta (as played by Robert De Niro) unveils his new nightclub.
Mario, Luigi, Donkey Kong and Donkey Kong Jr. appear as spectators in the crowd - on both sides of the ring.
Rac Carpana holds the official record for this game with 15,999,990 points.
A Punch-Out!! arcade unit can be seen in the 1987 movie 'Over the Top'.
A Game & Watch version was also released the same year under the title 'Boxing'. It was renamed to 'Punch-Out!!' for it's special 1988 U.S. release.
* Control Panel Instructions :
- Power meter indicates your punching power. Build up your punching power by punching the champ, throw a knock-out blow when meter flashes "KO".
- Status meter indicates your/champ's respective stamina, knockdown occurs when status meter reads empty.
- Game is over when you are knocked out or time counts down to zero.
- "Lets keep it clean. Now come out boxing!"
* Here's the system for getting by everyone in 1 round of Punch-Out (warning : This system works on 9 out of 10 Punch-Out machines)...
1) Glass Joe : So easy that you'd have to be trying not to win. But to be 100% sure... Keep guard up till his eyes glow for a big punch, dodge, and hammer him with rights and lefts to the face. Repeat till down.
2) Piston Hurricane : Concentrate blows, especially lefts, to the abdomen. When he backs up and charges in, hit him with a blow to the stomach as soon as he charges into you, he'll go down for the count after the 2nd or third time.
3) Bald Bull : Fairly simple : Right, dodge, left left. Right, dodge left left. Look out for his upper cuts though (get out of the way! duh) and upon his bull-charge you have two options. A hit to the stomach when he is right under you puts him down for the count, but if your reflexes aren't optimum, you are better off at dodging and continuing the fight. Right to the face (or 2 lefts), dodge, right. NO BODY BLOWS TO BALD BULL except on the bull charge.
4) Kid Quick : Soooo easy : Right, dodge, right right dodge right right dodge right right dodge right right dodge right right (these all being blows to the head). VERY EASY as long as you don't lose your rhythm. If ya do get messed up you can usually recover with a a dodge and starting again. No blows to the stomach. This is basically what you'll be doing against Mr. Sandman.
5) Pizza Pasta : Basically you're waiting for him to screw up. Use the kid quick system till he backs off (with the Come on! Come on!) and DODGE his hook. Then pummel him with rights and lefts to the head (ONLY the head), and he won't be fighting back. Repeat till he's dead. If he pins you up against the ropes with shots to the stomach at some point, just get your guard down there and sneak in some lefts and you should break free.
6) Mr. Sandman, the champion : Kid Quick system exactly. Every now and then however he fires a very quick left or right to the head. When he hits you with one, dodge the opposite way of the hit quickly or you'll be going down.
1. Punch-Out!! (1984)
2. Super Punch-Out!! (1984)
3. Mike Tyson's Punch-Out!! (1987, Nintendo NES)
4. Super Punch-Out!! (1994, Nintendo SNES)
5. Punch-Out!! (2009, Nintendo Wii)