Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of Super Heroes © 1998 Capcom Company, Limited.
Fifteen characters from all walks of the Marvel and Capcom lineups tag-battle each other including loads of special assist characters. Their only goal : beat the supreme and terrific Onslaught!
Runs on the "CP System II" hardware.
Green Board [Japan]
Players: Up to 2.
Control: 8-way joystick per player.
Buttons: 6 per player.
= >  LP,  MP,  HP
= >  LK,  MK,  HK
First revision is from December 1997, but most arcades didn't get the game until January 1998. It was known as the 28th video game released on the CPS-II hardware.
The game was shown at the 1998 AOU Amusement Expo show, in Japan.
Known export releases:
"Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of Super Heroes [Blue Board]"
"Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of Super Heroes [Grey Board]"
"Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of Super Heroes [Orange Board]"
"Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of Super Heroes [Pink Board]"
The game was also re-edited in Japan as "Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of Super Heroes [Black Board]".
Here are the debut comics for the 21 Marvel characters including the Guest Characters (For those with alter-egos, they are also listed) :
Captain America (aka Steve Rogers) - Captain America Comics #1
Carnage (aka Cletus Kasady) - Amazing Spider-Man #359
Colossus (aka Piotr Nikolaievitch Rasputin) - Giant-Size X-Men #1
Cyclops (aka Scott Summers) - X-Men #1
Gambit (aka Jean-Luc 'Remy' LeBeau) - Uncanny X-Men #266
Hulk (aka Robert Bruce Banner) - Incredible Hulk #1
Iceman (aka Robert 'Bobby' Drake) - Uncanny X-Men #1
Jubilee (aka Jubilation Lee) - Uncanny X-Men #244
Juggernaut (aka Cain Marko) - X-Men #12
Magneto (aka Erik 'Magnus' Lehnsherr) - X-Men #1
Onslaught - X-Men (Vol. 2) #53
Psylocke (aka Elizabeth 'Betsy' Braddock) - New Mutants Annual #2
Rogue - Avengers Annual #10
Sentinel - Uncanny X-Men #14
Spider-Man (aka Peter Parker) - Amazing Fantasy #15
Storm (aka Ororo Munroe) - Giant Size X-Men #1
Thor (aka Jake Olsen) - Journey Into Mystery #83
U.S. Agent (aka John F. 'Johnny' Walker) - Captain America #351
Venom (aka Edward 'Eddie' Brock) - Amazing Spider-Man #300
War Machine (aka James R. 'Rhodey' Rhodes) - Iron Man #281
Wolverine (aka James 'Logan' Howlett) - Incredible Hulk #180
Here are the debut games for the 19 Capcom characters including the Guest Characters :
Anita - "Night Warriors - Darkstalkers' Revenge" ("Vampire Hunter - Darkstalkers' Revenge" in Japan)
Arthur - "Ghosts'n Goblins" ("Makaimura" in Japan)
Captain Commando - "Captain Commando"
Chun-Li - "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior"
Devilotte Do Dethsatan IX (aka Devilot) - "Cyberbots - Fullmetal Madness"
Jin Saotome - "Cyberbots - Fullmetal Madness"
Lou - "Three Wonders" ("Wonder 3" in Japan)
Megaman (Rockman in Japan) - Megaman (Rockman in Japan)
Michelle Heart - "Legendary Wings" ("Ares No Tsubasa - The Legendary Soldiers" in Japan)
Morrigan Aensland - "Darkstalkers - The Night Warriors" ("Vampire - The Night Warriors" in Japan)
Pure and Fur - "Capcom World 2 - Adventure Quiz"
Roll - Megaman (Rockman in Japan)
Ryu - "Street Fighter"
Saki - "Quiz Nanairo Dreams - Nijiirochou no Kiseki"
Shadow - "Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter"
Strider Hiryu - "Strider" ("Strider Hiryu" in Japan)
Ton-Pooh - "Strider" ("Strider Hiryu" in Japan)
Unknown Soldier - "Forgotten Worlds" ("Lost Worlds" in Japan)
Zangief - "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior"
Strider's ending is a reference to that of the ending in his own game ("Strider")
Jin's ending is a reference to Gawaine's ending in "Cyberbots - Fullmetal Madness" (but with Jin taking the place of Gawaine, Onslaught taking the place of the Final Weapon of Destruction, Jin's headband taking the place of Gawaine's sword and Ryu taking the place of Jin).
Megaman's ending is a reference to what happens in his own games ("Mega Man - The Power Battle") when he beats a boss.
Captain Commando's ending is a reference to the ending in his own game ("Captain Commando").
Rumors exist for the reason War Machine was in the roster instead of Iron Man (although Hyper-Armor War Machine in the game had similar moves with Iron Man). The most popular reason being that Capcom, at the time, did not have the rights to use the Iron Man character.
The game background is mainly inspired by the famous comic saga called Onslaught, published in 1996. As in the comic books, Onslaught appears under his two main forms (after defeating the first one, he reveals its ultimate appearance).
Shirley Burton holds the official record for this game with 1119300 points.
Suleputer released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Marvel Vs. Capcom OST - CPCA-1005) on March 21, 1998.
The music from Roll's character theme (known in this game as 'Theme of Roll', but whose actual name is 'Kaze yo Tsutaete') samples "Tell It To My Heart", a song by pop artist Taylor Dayne released in 1987. The theme was composed by Yoshinori Ono (a sound engineer that would become known worldwide as the producer of the Street Fighter series a decade later), with lyrics sang by Yoshino Aoki. It was first used in the game "Rockman Battle & Chase [Model SLPS-00764]", released in 1997 on the Japanese PS1, and was once again featured in a variety of games, most notably "Tatsunoko vs. Capcom: Cross Generation of Heroes", where it finally received an English localization entitled 'Where The Wind Blows'.
Michael Jackson used to own this game. It was sold at the official Michael Jackson Auction on April 24, 2009.
Green Board revisions :
* Build date: 980112
* Build date: 980123
* Play As Hyper-Armor War Machine : At the character selection screen, highlight Zanglief and press Left(x2), Down(x2), Right(x2), Down(x2), Left(x2), Up(x4), Right(x2), Left(x2), Down(x4), Right(x2), Up(x2), Left(x2), Down(x2), Right(x2), Up(x5).
Hyper-Armor War Machine will appear above Zangief. Hyper Armor War Machine got the same moves as War Machine (with some little variations), can't jump very high, can't block attacks but can't be stopped during his attacks.
* Play As Shadow Lady : At the character selection screen, highlight Morrigan and press Up, Right(x2), Down(x4), Left(x2), Up(x4), Right(x2), Left (x2), Down(x2), Right(x2), Down(x2), Left(x2), Up(x2), Right(x2), Up(x2), Left(x2), Down(x5). Shadow Lady will appear below Gambit. Her attacks came from several characters in the game.
* Play As MSH Seinou Hulk (Marvel Super Heroes Ability Hulk) : At the character selection screen, highlight Chun Li and press Right(x2), Down(x2), Left(x2), Right(x2), Down(x2), Left(x2), Up(x4), Down(x2), Right(x2), Up(x2), Down(x4), Up(x4), Left, Up. MSH Seinou Hulk will appear above Ryu. His moves are very similar from the original Hulk.
* Play As Lilith-Kaze Morrigan (Lilith-style Morrigan) : At the character selection screen, highlight Zanglief and press Left(x2), Down(x2), Right(x2), Up(x2), Down(x4), Left(x2), Up(x4), Right, Left, Down(x4), Right(x2), Up(x4), Left(x2), Down(x4), Right, Down. Lilith-Kaze Morrigan will appear below War Machine. She makes moves a little bit different from Morrigan ones.
* Play As Roll-chan (-chan is a ''suffix for familiar 'female' person'') : At the character selection screen, highlight Zanglief and press Left(x2), Down(x2), Right(x2), Down(x2), Left(x2), Up, Right, Up(x2), Right(x2). Roll-chan will appear to the right of Megaman. Her moves are the same as Megaman.
* Play As Carnage (looks like a bloody Venom) : At the character selection screen, higlight Chun Li and press Right, Down(x4), Left, Up(x4), Right(x2), Down(x2), Left(x2), Down(x2), Right(x2), Up(x4), Left(x2), Up. High-speed Venom will appear above Chun-Li. He got the same moves as Venom but can do them very quickly.
* Change Character Lineup : Press all three Punch buttons at the 'vs.' screen to change the lineup (second chosen character is now first up). You can repeat this code again to reset the lineup.
* Continue Attacking : Press Start immediately after winning the match to move almost everywhere and have the ability to continue hitting the defeated character, even with super moves.
* Choose Your Helper : To obtain the helper of you choice, you must always hold down start and then the designated buttons, just before selecting your second character.
Shadow (Dark Charlie)- LP+MK+HP
Sentinel - MP+MK+HP
Storm - LP+LK+HP
Thor - LK+MP
Unknown Soldier - LP
Pure and Fur - LK
Anita - LP+MP+HP
Lou - MP
Rogue - LP+MP+HP+LK
Colossus - LP+MP+MK
Michelle Heart - LP+LK
King Arthur - LP+MP
Saki - HP
Ton-Pooh - LP+HP
Iceman - MP+MK
Cyclops - LP+LK+MP
Magneto - LK+HP
U.S. Agent - MK+HP
Psylock - MK
Devilot - MP+HP
Juggernaut - LP+MK
* Use Opponent's Helper : Defeat your opponent's helper in a single player game. Then, hold LK+MK+HK at the screen that displays the name of the character that won until the next match. If done correctly, your helper in the last match will be from your previous opponent's team.
* Name Changes : Enter --- as a name to have the game change it to 'SIN'. Enter AAA as a name to have the game change it to 'CAP'. Enter MMM as a name to have the game change it to 'MOT'.
* Fight Hidden Characters : In every case, you cannot lose a character. You can give up first attacks and have opponents join in, unlike what other sources tell you. A Super Finish is defined as either a Hyper Combo Finish, a Crossover Combination (or Variable Combination) Finish, or a Duo Team Attack (or Variable Cross) Finish.
1) To fight the team of Orange Hulk and Wolverine, get 3 Super Finishes.
2) To fight the team of Hyper-Armor War Machine and Captain America, get 5 Super Finishes, two of which must be Duo Team Attack Finishes.
3) To fight the team of Carnage and Spider-Man, get 6 Super Finishes, four of which must be Duo Finishes and finish six rounds under a certain amount of time.
4) To fight Lilith-Style Morrigan and Chun-Li, get 3 Super Finishes and drain your helper stocks in two matches.
5) To fight Roll and Megaman, get 5 Super Finishes, 2 of which are Duo Finishes and drain your helper stocks in six matches.
6) To fight Shadow Lady and Jin, get 6 Super Finishes, 4 of which are Duo finishes, drain your helper stocks in six matches and finish six matches under a certain amount of time.
Note: also called the 'Capcom vs.' series.
1. X-Men vs. Street Fighter [Green Board] (1996)
2. Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter [Green Board] (1997)
3. Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of Super Heroes [Green Board] (1998)
4. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (2000)
5. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (2011)
Planners : Atsushi Tomita, Dave Matumoto, Nakano Tau! Masahiro
Original art works : Akira Yasuda (Akiman), Shoei, Sakomizu
Object designers : Minobe Hiroaki, Akemi Kurihira, Fuji=Kazu, Sagata, G. Kamina, Miwa Sagaguchi, Kohichi Kikutanii, Masanori Kondo, Hiroshi Yoshioka, Shinya Miyamoto, Takep, Toshihiro Suzuki, Jon Narancha, Yamancha, Naony, Yuugen, Kanako Takami, Ino, Eripyon.N, Kimo Kimo
Scroll designers : Konomi, Iwai, Sawatch, M. Nakagawa, M. Kitamura, Nissui, Kanno, Himago, Kazu T, Oonisi, Takapon, Kenichi Yamahashi, Stamp Rally
Music Composers & Arrangers : Yuko K. Takehara, Masato Koda
Sound director : Ryoji Yamamoto
Recording director : Susan Hart
Recording engineers : Paul Shubat, David Stinson
Second engineers : Dave Hatt, Rick Pacholko
Programmers : Motsu, Eternal Sailor, Kaw, You!, Silver Kadontz, Teruaki Hirokado (Bakunetsu Hirokado)
Producer : Kenji Kataoka
General producer : Noritaka Funamizu
Executive producer : Yoshiki Okamoto
* Voice Actors (Art Vision):
Strider Hiryu : Fube Tomomi
Mega Man, Roll : Fujino Kahoru
Morrigan : Jinguji Yayoi
Chun Li : Miyamura Yuko
Ryu : Toshiyuki Morikawa
Captain Commando : Nagasako Takashi
Zangief : Takagi Wataru
Jin : Ueda Yuji
Jubilee : Alyson Court
Hulk : Andrew Jackson
Captain America, Wolverine : Cathal J. Dodd
Onslaught : Maurice Wint
Spider-Man : Patrick Chilvers
Venom, Thor : Rod Wilson
Gambit : Tony Daniels
War Machine : Wayne Ward
Narrator : Sally Cahill
Sega Dreamcast (mar.25, 1999) "Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of Super Heroes [Model T-1202M]"
Sony PlayStation (nov.11, 1999) "Marvel vs. Capcom EX Edition [Model SLPS-02368]"
See goodies section.
Official website: http://www.capcom.co.jp/newproducts/arcade/mvsc/mvsc.html