Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter © 1997 Capcom.
The second 'Capcom Vs.' series fighter, featuring 17 Marvel and Street Fighter characters teaming up to face the extremely cheap Mech-Akuma!
Runs on the "CP System II" hardware.
Green Board [Japan]
Players: Up to 2.
Control: 8-way joystick per player.
Buttons: 6 per player.
= >  LP,  MP,  HP
= >  LK,  MK,  HK
Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter was released in June 1997 in the Japanese arcades. It was known as the 23th video game released on the CPS-II hardware.
Known export releases:
"Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter [Blue Board]"
"Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter [Grey Board]"
"Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter [Orange Board]"
"Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter [Pink Board]"
9 characters are coming from Marvel comic books-followed by their first appearance :
Apocalypse (aka En Sabah Nur) - X-Factor #5
Blackheart - Daredevil #270
Captain America (aka Steve Rogers) - Captain America Comics #1
Cyclops (aka Scott Summers) - X-Men #1
Hulk (aka Robert Bruce Banner) - Incredible Hulk #1
Omega Red (aka Arkady Rossovich) - X-Men #4
Shuma-Gorath - Marvel Premiere #6
Spider-Man (aka Peter Parker) - Amazing Fantasy #15
Wolverine (aka James 'Logan' Howlett) - Incredible Hulk #180
9 other character come from several Street Fighter games :
Akuma ('Gouki' in Japan) - "Super Street Fighter II X - Grand Master Challenge" in Japan; "Super Street Fighter II Turbo" in all other regions
Chun-Li - "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior"
Dan Hibiki - "Street Fighter Alpha - Warriors' Dreams" in North America and Europe; "Street Fighter Zero" in Japan, Southeast Asia, Brazil, and Hispanic regions
Dhalsim - "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior"
Ken Masters - "Street Fighter"
Major Bison ('Vega' in Japan) - "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior"
Ryu - "Street Fighter"
Sakura Kasugano - "Street Fighter Alpha 2" in the United States, Canada, and Europe; "Street Fighter Zero 2" in Japan, Southeast Asia, Brazil, Oceania, and Hispanic regions
Zangief - "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior"
Charlie, Gambit, Rogue, and Rose appear in the background in the 'Showdown in the Park' stage.
Blanka (of "Street Fighter" fame) can be seen within the background in the 'Death Valley' stage.
Dan's ending is an obvious parody of the ending of the SNK game, "Art of Fighting".
Sunburned (or Evil) Sakura has two separate endings (Japanese version): Kei chases Gouki and Sunburned Sakura after they teleport away
1) Across the entire screen from right to left.
2) Across half the screen before she trips, falls, and falls asleep.
There are several cameos of Rockman in this game:
1) In the mall stage, there's a cameo of a Rockman cut-out (perhaps someone in a Rockman suit). And in relation to Capcom celebrating Rockman's "10th Anniversary" in 1997, they put a banner saying '10th Anniversary: Rockman'.
2) In one of Norimaro's super combos, he does a cosplay of Rockman.
There is one rumored reason why Iron Man was not in this game. It is because Acclaim made an Iron Man game called "Iron Man and X-O Manowar in Heavy Metal" which was released for several consoles.
Firstsmile released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter Original Soundtrack & Arrange - FSCA-10017) on September 19, 1997.
Green Board revisions :
* Build date: 970625
* Build date: 970702
* Build date: 970707
The Japanese version features an extra playable character (his character slot on the character select screen is replaced by the MSH vs. SF logo on all non-Japanese versions), Norimaro, a silly otaku (Japanese geek specializing in anime and manga) who is a huge Chun-Li fanboy as evidence by his reaction in seeing her before the match begins. While his true intentions of entering the competition is unknown, we can assume that it was to take pictures of Chun-Li and the many superheroes. He is voiced by the comedian Kinashi Noritake and created by Capcom as being a joke character like Dan (modeled after a Japanese comedian Noritake Kinashi). He was originally going to appear in non-Japanese versions of the game, but due to cultural differences and a reference to stealing Chun-Li's panties in his ending, he was cut out. However, his programming still exists in the ROM and he even has English dialogs in the game. He even has an ending with pictures, but his ending dialogs was cut out.
* Play as Evil Sakura : At the character selection screen, highlight Hulk, hold Right for 5 sec. and press LP+HP or LK+HK.
* Play as Evil Zanglief : At the character selection screen, highlight Blackheart, hold Left for 5 sec. and press LP+HP or LK+HK.
* Play as Armored Spiderman : At the character selection screen, highlight Ryu, move down and hold Down for 5 sec. and press LP+HP or LK+HK.
* Play as Mephisto : At the character selection screen, highlight Omega Red, hold Down for 5 sec. and press LP+HP or LK+HK.
* Play as U.S. Agent : At the character selection screen, highlight Bison, hold Up for 5 sec. and press LP+HP or LK+HK.
* Play as Shadow Charlie : At the character selection screen, highlight Dhalsim, hold Up for 5 sec. and press LP+HP or LK+HK.
* Play as Gambit : Go to Dhalsim, hold Start, then move Left(x2), Down(x4), Right(x2), Up(x2), Right and press and hold LP+MK+HP together.
* Play as Norimaro (Japanese version only) : Norimaro will show on the character select screen (bottom middle square) if the machine is set to Freeplay or 1 coin X credit. A setting of 2 coins or above and you will only see the Marvel Super Heroes Vs. Street Fighter logo in his square.
* Beat 'em While They're Down : After defeating your opponents, press and hold Start. Normally your character wont be able to move after the round is over but by holding Start you will not only be able to move freely (until the next round starts) but you will be able to hit your opponent and even do a Super on them!
* Change Battle Order : When the screen shows which teams will be battling, press Punch or Kick three times to change the order of battle.
* Double Team Spidermen : Start a new game and choose any character for your first choice followed by Spiderman as the second character. Deliberately lose, then continue and choose Silver Spiderman as your first character. The other Spiderman should be selected as your second character.
* Fight Secret Characters (Japanese Version) : To fight a secret character in the Japanese version you must do a certain amount of team super finishes :
Evil Sakura 5
Evil Zangief 6
Shadow Charlie 7
* Hyper Mode : At the vs. screen, hold LK+MP+HK.
* Dan's Explosion : Pick Dan as your fighter and anyone else. At the Vs. screen hold LP until the word fight disappears. When the match begins Dan will fall into a small explosion.
Note: also called the 'Capcom vs.' series.
1. X-Men vs. Street Fighter [Green Board] (1996)
2. Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter [Green Board] (1997)
3. Marvel vs. Capcom - Clash of Super Heroes [Green Board] (1998)
4. Marvel vs. Capcom 2 - New Age of Heroes (2000)
5. Marvel vs. Capcom 3 (2011)
Planners : Atsushi Tomita, Nakano Tau! Masahiro, Dave Matumoto
Original art works : Akira Yasuda (Akiman), Sakomizu, Ukabin
Object designers : Minobe Hiroaki Da!!, Sagata, G.Kamina, Miwaringo, Kohichi Kikutani, Hiroshi Yoshioka, Shinya Miyamoto, Kondo Masanori, Satou Rie, Takep, Yosinori Yamamoto, Jon Narancha, Toshihiro Suzuki, R. Naoi, Kanako Takami
Scroll designers : Iwai, Konomi, Hisashi Sawada, Dear Akirakun 1997, May, Inoyan, Youko Fukumoto, Kisabon, Takashi Fujiwara, Hiroshi Yuugen, Chie Morisaki, Holly Genki?, Shinnosuke, Manga-Chop
Music composers & arrange : Yuki Iwai, Yuko Kadota
Sound director : Hiroaki Kondo (X68K) (cipher)
Sound assistants : Hachi & Ise & lee, Moe.T (cipher)
Recording director : Susan Hart
Recording enginners : Paul Shubat, Dave Hatt
Programmers : Motsu, Eternal Sailor, Kaw, Silver Kadontz, You!
Producer : Kenji Kataoka
General producer : Noritaka Funamizu
Executive producer : Yoshiki Okamoto
* Voice Actors :
Zangief : Wataru Takagi
M. Bison : Tomomichi Nishimura
Dhalsim : Yoshiharu Yamada
Sakura Kasugano : Yuko Sasamoto
Akuma : Tomomichi Nishimura
Chun-Li : Yuko Miyamura
Ken Masters : Iwanaga Tetsuya
Ryu : Toshiyuki Morikawa
Dan Hibiki : Osamu Hosoi
Cyclops : Norman Spencer
Captain America : Cathal J. Dodd
Spider-Man : Patrick Chilvers
Shuma-Gorath : Franck Perry
Wolverine : Cathal J. Dodd
The Incredible Hulk : Andrew Jackson
Blackheart : Jaimz Woolvett
Omega Red : Len Doncheff
Norimaro : Noritake Kinashi
Apocalypse : Lorne Kennedy
Narrator : Tony Daniels
[JP] Sega Saturn (Oct.22, 1998) "Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter [4MRAM Doukori Ban] [Model T-1238G]"
[JP] Sega Saturn (Oct.22, 1998) "Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter [Model T-1239G]"
[JP] Sony PlayStation (Feb.25, 1999) "Marvel Super Heroes vs. Street Fighter EX Edition [Model SLPS-01915]"
See goodies section.
Official website: http://www.capcom.co.jp/newproducts/arcade/MSHvsSF/mshvssf.html