Final Fight was released in December 1989 in the Japanese arcades. It was known there as the 8th video game made for the CP System.
This game was originally billed as the sequel to "Street Fighter
" and was to be called "Street Fighter '89". While the game had become a major hit in its own right, Capcom decided to change the name to "Final Fight
" and save the "Street Fighter
" name for another game, 2 years later.
Guy's name is written with the kanji meaning 'victory song'. The character of Guy has been allegedly inspired by the lead singer of the post hardcore group Fugazi, Guy Picciotto.
The enemy character, Andore, and all of his relatives (Andore Jr., Uncle Andore, Father Andore and Grandfather Andore) are Capcom's homage to the now late WWF Champion, Andre Rene Roussimoff, better known as 'Andre the Giant'.
Two other Mad Gear characters, Axl and Slash, are parodies of the lead singer and guitarist respectively from American rock band, 'Guns N' Roses'.
Poison is taken from the glam rock group of the '80s, in which the singer used to wear a similar hat to the female character in the game. The character Poison is actually a male transvestite and so is Roxy (although a translation error in the Capcom Classics Collection character profiles refers to Roxy as a female).
Abigail is a King Diamond album, whose singer (King Diamond) resembles the character in the game.
Sodom is a famous German thrash metal band founded in the eighties.
The enemy character 'Two P' appears in "Forgotten Worlds
" as the second player ('Two P' for 2P, 'Player 2').
The game shares a similar plot with the 1984 movie 'Streets of Fire' directed by Walter Hill. Starring : Michael Paré, Diane Lane, Rick Moranis and Willem Dafoe. Here's a list of the things the movie and the game have in common (Warning! Contains movie spoilers) :
1) The main character played by Michael Paré is named 'Tom Cody' and resembles the game character. Wears jeans and a white shirt at some points during the movie.
2) The city is plagued by gangs and a motorcycle gang kidnaps Cody's Ex girlfriend.
3) The cop that arranges a meeting between Cody and the Gang's boss is nothing other than a corrupted cop by the name of 'Ed Price', the only Cop in the game is called 'Eddie'.
4) The city has an old and trashed look similar to the game.
5) At the end of the movie, Cody leaves the girl just like in the game. Only this time there is no 'Guy' to stop him from leaving (see Final Fight ending sequence)
Known re-release: "Final Fight [B-Board 89625B-1]
Known Export release: "Final Fight [B-Board 89624B-3]
A bootleg of this game is known as "Final Crash
Before the release of "Final Fight
", Capcom released a vertically scrolling driving/shoot-em-up called "Mad Gear
Pony Canyon/Scitron released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Final Fight : G.S.M. Capcom 3 - PCCB-00030) on May 21, 1990.