Don Doko Don © 1989 Taito Corporation.
Don Doko Don is a platform game where you play a bearded dwarf with a mallet as your only weapon. Very abstract colors, talking trees, cute graphics and sounds. The object is to defeat all the enemies and advance to the next round, which reveals more and different enemies.
Runs on the "Taito F2 System" hardware. It used a graphics extension on the board, the so called Taito F2 Expanded System (also known as the Taito F1 System).
Board Number: M4300131A
Prom Stickers: B95
Screen Orientation: Horizontal
Control: 8-Way Joystick
=> Attack with mallet, Jump
Don Doko Don was released in July 1989.
Pony Canyon / Scitron released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Don Doko Don - PCCB-00008) on October 21, 1989.
The US version has the "Winners Don't Use Drugs" screen.
* Items list:
Power Drink (red): Increase your level by 1 one
Maxim Drink: Increase your level to maximum
Medicine (blue): Increase speed when holding an enemy
Book of Death (black): Eliminate all on-screen enemies
Book of Smash (brown): Smash all on-screen enemies
Death Hammer (grey): Can defeat an enemy with a single strike
Flying Hammer (blue): This hammer can be thrown
Fruit: Bonus points
Poison Apple: Decrease your level by one
Key: Open the door to a bonus or hidden stage
* Teddy Bear cheat: in the demo mode during the attract mode (not the tutorial), press the attack button 3 times, and a cute picture of a bear will appear in the bottom left of the screen.
* Secret Room and Bonus Game:
If you hit the bottom of the first level, you will get the key to go to the Secret Room.
In Level 5, hit the bottom of the Right screen and you will get the key to go to the bonus game.
* Stage Select: like other Taito games, Don Doko Don has a stage select feature.
1) During boot, push the 'service button.'
2) The 'Service switch error' screen should appear; push START three times and then push the service switch button.
* True Ending: If you get all the secret keys, you will be able to answer the secret code from the first secret stage. This means you will have to go through another 50 stages. Finally, you have to defeat the final boss (100th stage). Now you can see the true ending!
1. Don Doko Don (1989)
2. Don Doko Don 2 (1992, Nintendo NES)
Developed by the Taito team: Kumagaya Laboratory
Producers: Seiji Kawakami, T. Matumoto, Hiroyuki Sakou (Hiroyuki Sakoh)
Software: Kazutomo Ishida, Masaya Kinoshita
Characters: Seiji Kawakami, Yukiwo Ishikawa (Y. Abechan), Minori Ishino, Kazuhiro Numata, Kohzoh Igarashi, Tetsuya Shinoda, V.A.P.
Sound (Zuntata): Masahiko Takagi, Yasuko Yamada
Hardware: K. Fugimoto, Who Manchu
Designers: Hiroyasu Nagai, V.A.P
Special Thanks: Masaki Ogata, Kumagaya Project
[JP] Nintendo Famicom (mar.9, 1990) "Don Doko Don [Model TFC-DD-5900]"
[JP] NEC PC-Engine (may.31, 1990) "Don Doko Don [Model TP02010]"
[JP] Sony PS2 (jul.28, 2005) "Taito Memories Joukan [Model SLPM-66057]"
[AU] Sony PlayStation 2 (mar.30, 2006) "Taito Legends 2 [Model SLES-53852]"
[EU] Microsoft XBOX (mar.31, 2006) "Taito Legends 2"
[EU] Sony PS2 (mar.31, 2006) "Taito Legends 2 [Model SLES-53852]"
[US] Sony PS2 (may.16, 2007) "Taito Legends 2 [Model SLUS-21349]"
[EU] PC [MS Windows, CD-ROM] (mar.31, 2006) "Taito Legends 2"
[US] PC [MS Windows, CD-ROM] (jul.10, 2007) "Taito Legends 2"