Released in August 1995.
The title of this game translates from Japanese as 'Iron Fist 2'.
Angel is still called Devil until the Sony PlayStation release.
Jun Kazama and Kazuya Mishima aren't connected by any other way other than the fact that Kazuya is the son of Heihachi, who is the owner of the Mishima Zaibatsu and Jun is a worker at a world wildlife NGO. During the Tekken 2 Tournament, Jun Kazama and Kazuya Mishima marry (Namco never elaborated on the nature of their relationship, seeing as how they faced each other in Tekken 2 as opponents). After their marriage, Kazuya is killed by his own father who was jealous of him because Kazuya had the 'devil' inside him which Heihachi has been trying to capture for a long time. Jin is a born after a little time. He is trained by Heihachi... during this Jin's mother is killed by the God of fight (Toshin) or originally 'Ogre' (Ogre appears in the next sequel, "Tekken 3
"). Jin keeps practicing until he is 18 and he then participates in Tekken3 to take the revenge of his mother and fathers death. The story continues...
NEC Avenue released 2 limited-edition soundtrack albums for this game (Tekken 2 Strike Fighting Vol.1 - NACL-1225 & Tekken 2 Strike Fighting Vol.2 - NACL-1229) respectively on 29/06/1996 and 20/07/1996.
Michael Jackson used to own this game (Serial number M450). It was sold at the official Michael Jackson Auction on Apr. 24th, 2009.
REVISION 1 :
* Software version : TES2/VER.A
* Build date : 19 :01 :47, AUG 3 1995
* Green text for timer, round, insert coin etc.
* No sound when being thrown by another character (like "Tekken").
REVISION 2 :
* Software versions : TES2/VER.B, TES3/VER.B
* Build date : 10 :39 :16, SEP 29 1995
* Yellow text for timer, round, insert coin etc.
* AI is modified, opponents' sound effects were added to almost all throws.
* Added some new moves, listed below.
* Basic throws can be escaped by pressing the same buttons as the corresponding throw. A LP+LK throw is escaped by pressing LP+LK, and a RP+RK throw is escaped by pressing RP+RK.
* Special throws, as well as back throws, cannot be escaped - use these when in close quarters, but don't abuse them or people (and the CPU) will start ducking under them.
* Ultimate Tackle (Paul, Kazuya) can be escaped with RP+RK. The running tackle cannot be escaped however.
* Non-grab throws also cannot be escaped :
Body Press (Jack-2, P.Jack, Kuma)
Frankensteiner (King, Armor King, Roger/Alex)
Run Up To Drop (Law)
Whirlwind Toss (Wang)
Slow Power Punch Combo (Michelle, Wang)
Machine Gun Cannon (Michelle)
Running Tackle (all)
Attack Reversal (Nina, Paul, Jun, Wang, Anna) - 'Chicken' move added in Tekken 3 to counter throw
* Tekken 2 also has a few bugs in its moves database :
Hammer Punch (Paul, Heihachi, P.Jack). Can be done facing backwards. You can also continue to the Power Punch by following with RP.
Geta Stomping (Heihachi). Can be done facing backwards, opponent must be on ground.
Sledge Hammer (Bruce). Can be done facing backwards.
Face Crushing Knee (Bruce). On Ver.A machines this causes a sound bug against the opponent, who will use another character's voice half way through.
Killer Beam (Devil/Angel). Can be done facing backwards (both standing and flying versions).
Special throws (all). Throws like King's Tombstone Pile Driver can be done backwards by reversing the directional input as though you're facing the opponent.
* Play As Hidden Characters (even if they aren't selectable yet) :
Wang : On the character select screen, highlight Jun/Baek (whoever's default), then press Start, Down, Right, Left, Up
P. Jack : Highlight Jack-2, press Down(x2), hold Start and press Up(x2)
Armor King : Highlight King, press Left, hold Start, press Left, Right, release Start, press Right
Ganryu : Highlight Michelle, hold Start, press Down, Up
Bruce : Highlight Lei, press Start(x4) and then Right
Kazuya : Highlight Heihachi, press Down, Up, hold Up, press Start(x2), release Up, press Up again
For the following characters you have to hold a button before entering the character select...
Kunimitsu : Hold LP, then press Start to enter character select, highlight Yoshimitsu, then press Right, Start
Kuma : Hold RP, press Start, highlight Paul, press Down, Start, Down
Alex : Hold RK, press Start, Up(x2)
Roger : Hold LK, press Start, Up(x2)
* Fight Roger or Alex on Stage 4 : On the second/final round of Stage 3, defeat the opponent with less than 5% health (so the announcer says 'Great!'). Roger will appear if your character was selected with a punch button, Alex if selected with a kick button.
* Fight Kuma on Stage 4 : If you have Roger or Alex and do the same thing Kuma will appear instead.
* Each character has a sub-boss (stage 8) depending on who started the game :
If Jun (default) was chosen Wang will be on stage 8. Baek is in place of Jun if the "New Character" setting is set to 'Baek & Lei'.
If Yoshimitsu was chosen, Kunimitsu will be on stage 8.
Nina : Anna.
Law : Baek or Jun depending on the "New Character" setting.
Heihachi : Lee.
Paul : Kuma.
Jack-2 : P. Jack.
King : Armor King.
Michelle : Ganryu.
Lei : Bruce.
Roger : Alex.
Kazuya : Roger, Heihachi on stage 9 (never Alex on stage 8).
Devil : Heihachi, Jun on stage 9.
If a sub-boss is selected the characters are reversed e.g. selecting Armor King will make King appear.
* Tekken 2 Ver.B introduced some new moves into the game :
Wang : Whirlwind Toss (throw) - d/f+LP+LK+RK
Wang : Dragon Power Punch - b+LP+RP
Armor King : Jump to Capital Punishment - u (or u/f), LP+RP
Armor King : Jump to Burning Double Knuckle - u (or u/f), LP+RP,d (hold)
Armor King : Jump to Moonsault Body Press - u (or u/f), LP+RK
Lee : Silver Cyclone - (while crouching) d+LK+RK
Lee : Blazing Kick - d,d/b+RK (launches opponent on counter hit)
Ganryu : Sumo Popup - b,d/b,d,d/f+1
Ganryu : Take Down - (while fully crouched) d+LP+RP
Kuma : Salmon Hunting - b,f+RP+LK
Kuma : Head Butt (Stonehead) - RP+RK,b (hold)
Kuma : Grizzly Claw - b+LP+RP
Kuma : Rolling Bear - b+LP+RP, clockwise 360 x2(?)
King : 10-Hit Combo ender - Combos ending in LK can now end in LP for an elbow drop; combo ending with Power Bomb can also end with LP or LK
* Some original moves were modified in Tekken 2 Ver.B :
Kazuya : Rising Sun combo was given an extra low sweep and named Roundhouse to Triple Spin Kick - u/f+RK,RK,RK,RK
Jack-2 : Volcano Blaster move notation was changed - Ver.A is d/f,d/f+LP, Ver.B is d/f+d/f+RP+RK
Ganryu : Thunder Slap move notation was changed - Ver.A is d,d/f+RP, Ver.B is d/f+RP+LK