SRD - Super Real Darwin © 1987 Data East Corp.
SRD: Super Real Darwin is a vertical scrolling shooter arcade game developed and published by Data East. It is the sequel to Data East's 1986 arcade game, Darwin 4078. The player takes control of a small fighter ship capable of mutating into different shapes. The ship's appearance will change with upgraded weapons as the player obtains more powerups.
The story starts on the planet Lakya where the technologically advanced inhabitants of the planet unwittingly unleash the planet's life force known as Evol. As the released Evol drifts from planet Lakya, it is received by the inhabitants of the nearby planet Cokyo; the people of Cokyo initiate the Shlohe project, a plan to use their captured Evol to develop advanced biologic ships and weapons to invade planet Lakya. The inhabitants of Lakya retaliate the Cokyo invasion by using their own evolving fighter ships.
Main CPU : Motorola M6809 (@ 2 Mhz)
Sound CPU : MOS Technology M6502 (@ 1.5 Mhz)
Sound Chips : YM2203 (@ 1.5 Mhz), YM3812 (@ 3 Mhz)
Players : 1
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 2
=> [A] Shot, [B] Bomb
Super Real Darwin was released in October 1987.
Data East Game Music - Alfa Records [28XA-205] (May 10, 1988)
Data East Retro Game Music Collection - TEAM Entertainment [KDSD-00366] (July 21, 2010)
* Power-up items :
1) Evol : evolution item. Power-up your ship.
2) BEvol : black evolution item, released by the big ships. Also powers-up your ship. It can be changed to an Evol item by shooting at it.
3) Ar : armour item. It is released by some enemies. Unlike the evolution items, it moves upwards.
4) Sp : speedup item. It is released by some enemies. Unlike the evolution items, it moves upwards.
5) DNA : it is released by the ground lizards.
6) Egg : available after destroying each stage boss. It adds a second ship that shoots sideways and can also be upgraded by collecting evolution items. Its evolution level is at most equal to the main ship level.
* General sequence :
1) When you are not invincible -> (get hit by a bullet) -> PISTER
2) All states -> (fixed time without collecting power-up) -> degenerate
3) PISTER -> (get hit by a bullet) -> die
4) All states -> (get hit by an enemy) -> die
* Evolution sequence (when you collect an evolution item) :
PISTER -> HODOYODO (your stating level) -> ZWIPIP -> DARIER -> SYULBA -> QUILL -> LBOCK -> SWEEP -> DLIME -> ARTDEAME -> SLUGBU -> GYASYALBA
(if you collect BEVol while you are DARIER, ZWIPIP or ARTDEAME then the evolution sequence is different, see below)
* Degeneration sequence (at fixed time without collecting an evolution item) :
1) GYASYALBA -> SLUGBU -> ARTDEAME -> DLIME -> SWEEP -> LBOCK -> QUILL -> SYULBA -> DARIER -> ZWIPIP -> HODOYODO
2) FC FDIVI -> FOUR DIVI -> TC TDIVI -> TWO DIVI -> ARTDEAME -> DLIME -> SWEEP -> LBOCK -> QUILL -> SYULBA -> DARIER -> ZWIPIP -> HODOYODO
3) DARIER-4S -> DARIER-4 -> DARIER-3 -> DARIER-2 -> DARIER -> ZWIPIP -> HODOYODO
4) PISPIDER -> PISTER
5) GOAT DEAM -> PISTER
6) PISNAKE -> PISTER
* Mutation sequence :
1) All levels -> (hit the orange explosions released by the ground bugs) -> PISPIDER (bullet invincible)
2) ARTDEAME -> (collect BEvol) -> TWO DIVI -> TC TDIVI -> FOUR DIVI -> FC FDIVI
* Opposite evolution :
1) SLUGBU -> (degenerate) -> GYASYALBA (but shooting like ARTDEAME) -> (get hit by a bullet) -> GOAT DEAM (bullet invincible)
2) All levels, except PISTER and the invincible levels -> (destroy some water snakes) -> (get hit by a bullet) -> PISNAKE (bullet invincible)
* Bomb upgrade :
1) DARIER -> (collect BEvol) -> DARIER-2 -> DARIER-3 -> DARIER-4 -> DARIER-4S (bomb upgrade)
2) ZWIPIP -> (collect BEvol) -> ZWIPIP-2 -> DARIER-4 -> DARIER-4S (bomb upgrade)
* Bug? feature? : Under the attract mode the ship can me moved by the player as long that screen persists. It can fire both shots. Only in the Japanese version of the game.
Music by : Yoshida Hiroaki
[JP] Sega Mega Drive (apr.7, 1990) "Darwin 4081 [Model G-4033]"
[US] Nintendo Wii (feb.19, 2010) "Data East Arcade Classics [Model RVL-P-R26E]"
See goodies section.