Sonic The Hedgehog © 1991 Sega.
Join Sonic the Hedgehog as he saves and frees his animal friends from Dr. Ivo Robotnik's evil scheme for world conquest.
Runs on the "Mega-Tech System" hardware.
Cartridge ID: 610-0239-52
Sonic The Hedgehog : Genesis of the Genesis'! Greatest hero 'Sonic the Hedgehog' was the premier character on the home system 'Sega Mega Drive'. It is said that because the Genesis was faster than other console systems at the time (and more importantly, faster than its chief competitor, the Nintendo Super Famicom), Sonic, a hedgehog whose lone weapon is his speed, was born.
Originally, sonic's main attack was the ability to pick up things and throw them at his enemies (similar to Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers for the Nintendo Entertainment System), but it was scrapped because it was too complex.
The Sonic The Hedgehog character actually made his debut in 1990 as part of a promotional tour with the Japanese pop group 'Dreams Come True'. Ironically, the music for Sonic The Hedgehog (and its sequel, Sonic The Hedgehog 2) was composed by Dreams Come True's bassist Masato Nakamura.
Sonic replaced 'Alex Kidd', who was Sega's mascot prior to 1990.
The bonus stage scene was greatly inspired by Taito's "Cameltry".
Sonic The Hedgehog is a playable character in Nintendo's Super Smash Bros. Brawl for the Nintendo Wii.
MB (Milton Bradley) released a board games based on this video game (same name) : Just like the video game, the object is to collect the most rings and defeat Dr. Robotnik.
* Level Select : At the title screen, press Up, Down, Left, Right. You should hear a noise like a ring being collected. Then, hold A and press Start for a level select.
* Crazy Sonic : Hold A+B+C during demonstration mode for force Sonic to run into objects and act strangely (Note : This may also be done during the ending sequence after completing the Final Zone).
* Debug Mode : Press Up, C, Down, C, Left, C, Right, C, Start, then hold A at the title screen. Continue to hold A until game play begins. Screen coordinates will appear instead of a score and the number of objects displayed will appear instead of the time remaining. Use one of the following buttons sequences to enable the corresponding debug code...
Object transformation : Press B during game play to change Sonic into a game object.
1) Press A to change into a new object.
2) Press C to place an object on the screen.
3) Press B again to revert back to Sonic (Note : The type of object that may be selectable will vary from level to level).
Invincibility : Sonic is, by default, invincible in debug mode (Note : Sonic can still drown, be crushed, fall and die, etc. He is only invincible to enemy attacks).
Slow motion : Pause game-play and hold B.
Restart : Pause game-play and press A.
Frame advance : Pause game-play and press C.
* Control Ending Sequence : Enable the 'Debug mode' code. Press B when Sonic is running with the animals at the end, then turn back into Sonic. You can now control yourself.
Programmer : Yuji Naka
Music : Masato Nakamura
Staff : Naoto Oshima
Sega Game Gear (1991)
Sega Master System (1991)
Sega Mega Drive (1991)
Sega Mega Drive (1995, "6-PAK")
SNK Neo-Geo Pocket Color (1999, "Sonic the Hedgehog - Pocket Adventure")
Sony PlayStation 2 (2006, "Genesis Collection")
Sony PSP (2006, "Genesis Collection")
Nintendo Game Boy Advance (2006, "Sonic the Hedgehog Genesis")
Nintendo Wii (2006, "Virtual Console")
Microsoft XBOX 360 (2007, "XBOX Live Arcade")
Nintendo 3DS [eShop] (2013) "3D Sonic The Hedgehog"
Mobile Phones (2005, Sonic Mobile)