Jaleco Mega System 1-A hardware
Main CPU : Motorola 68000 (@ 12 Mhz)
Sound CPU : Motorola 68000 (@ 7 Mhz)
Sound Chips : Yamaha YM2151 (@ 3.5 Mhz), (2x) OKI6295 (@ 30.303 Khz)
Players : 2
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 2 (Catch, Create magical ladder)
Released in April 1990.
This game is known in Japan as "Rod Land - Haha wo Motomete 30 Kai".
Rod-Land contains a second episode (see 'Tips And Tricks' section) known in Japan as "Rod Land - Tozasareta Sekai". This time, the storyline has an alien pyramid landing in Fairland and in this episode, it is the girls' father that must be rescued. The gameplay is identical to that of the first episode, with only graphical differences separating the two.
Pony Canyon / Scitron released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Rod-Land - PCCB-00028) on 21/05/1990.
* One feature unique to Rod-Land is that the game's sequel is already included and becomes available upon completion of the first game. While the graphics, enemies and level layouts have been changed, gameplay is identical to the first game.
- How to access 'Part 2 : The Unknown Pyramid', the Second Episode (note : this can also be unlocked via the dip switches settings)...
English version : after inserting a coin, press DOWN three times, then START.
Japanese version : after inserting a coin, press UP three times, then START.
- How to access 'Part 1 : Rescue My Mom', the first episode, when the second is enabled (via dip switches settings)...
English version : after inserting a coin, press UP three times, then START.
Japanese version : after inserting a coin, press DOWN three times, then START.
* The game has 3 endings, depending on the following:
- Enable the default 1st Story (Rescue My Mom) through the Arcade's DIP Switches and beat the 31 levels.
- Enable the 2nd Story (The Unknown Pyramid) through the Arcade's DIP Switches and beat the extra 31 levels.
- Enable the 1st or 2nd Story (depending on which is enabled as the default one) through the secret code and beat the extra level 32.
Nintendo Famicom (1992)
Nintendo Game Boy (1993)
Sony PlayStation [Port of Famicom version] (2003, "Yousei Monogatari Rod-Land" - Included in "Jaleco Collection Vol. 1")
Amstrad CPC (1990)
Commodore C64 (1991)
Commodore Amiga (1991)
Atari ST (1991)
Sinclair ZX Spectrum (1992)
See goodies section.