Puyo Puyo © 1992 Sega.
An incredibly addictive and original puzzle game in which players must form chains of four or more beans (known as 'Puyos') of the same colour to make to disappear.
Players can hinder their opponent by forming Puyo combinations; a successfully formed chain removes some some of the player's Puyos and causes 'junk' Puyos to fall into the opponent's play area. As these Junk Puyos are transparent, they cannot be used to form a chain and can only be destroyed when a nearby chain is created.
Runs Sega "System C-2" hardware.
Control: 8-way joystick
Puyo Puyo was released in October 1992 in Japan. Puyo Puyo is Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound that a rather plump person might make.
Puyo Puyo was originally released by Compile in 1991 for the MSX2 under the name "Puyo Puyo [Model IA-9106]". It was soon followed by a version for the Nintendo Famicom Disk Drive called "Puyo Puyo [Famimaga Disk Vol. 5] [Model GTS-PYO]" (featured characters from the 1989 RPG Madou Monogatari, also made by Compile). Puyo Puyo only really became popular when it was released as an arcade game in 1992. This was the first version that included a one player story mode, in which the human player plays against computer opponents of increasing difficulty. This feature was an immediate success because it allowed players to play by themselves. Future versions of Puyo Puyo for home systems also included this feature.
For fanatics, here is the full cast :
1. Puyo Puyo [Model IA-9106] (1991, MSX 2)
2. Puyo Puyo (1992, Arcade)
3. Puyo Puyo 2 (1994, Arcade)
6. Puyo Puyo Sun [Model 610-0374-11] (1996, Arcade)
7. Puyo Puyo Da! featuring ELLENA System (1999, Arcade)
8. Puyo Puyo 4 [Model HDR-0014] (1999, Dreamcast)
9. Puyo Puyo Fever (2003, Arcade)
10. Puyo Puyo Fever 2 [SLPM 66104] (2005, PS2)
11. Kidou Gekidan Harouza Haro Ichiza - Haro no Puyo Puyo [Model AGB-BH6J-JPN] (2005, GBA)
12. Puyo Puyo! 15th Anniversary [Model NTR-P-APUJ] (2006, Nintendo DS)
13. Puyo Puyo!! 20th Anniversary [Model NTR-P-TP4J] (2011, Nintendo DS)
Developed by Compile.