Out Zone © 1990 Toaplan.
A vertically scrolling run and gun game, in which the player controls a soldier who must fight his way through 7 increasingly difficult levels. At the end of each level a boss must be defeated before the player can progress any further.
Game ID : TP-018
Main CPU : Motorola 68000 (@ 10 Mhz), Zilog Z80 (@ 3.5 Mhz)
Sound Chips : YM3812 (@ 3.5 Mhz)
Players : 2
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 3
Out Zone was released in August 1990.
Several characters from other Toaplan games make cameo appearances as powerups or bonuses :
* Six plane squadron from "Flying Shark" fly on the screen shooting enemies in an upside down V shape pattern.
* The "Truxton" ship follows the player helping out.
* ZIG-01 from "Zero Wing" flies on the screen dragging a bunch of '5000' points bonuses.
* Pipiru, Toaplan's mascot from "Zero Wing" can be summoned in level 1 from shooting a hole in a rock. It is vulnerable to all weapons, but it will bring a significant score bonus if safely taken to the level's boss.
Pony Canyon / Scitron released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Out Zone, Snow Bros. - PCCB-00044) on 21/10/1990.
Out Zone new version uses different enemies in some stages and has extra bonuses compared to the old version. The music sequences are also in different orders between the sets.
* Hidden Functions : If the 'Invulnerability dip switch' is enabled, you are invulnerable but you may also 'Pause' the game with P2 Start and restart with P1 Start.
Music and sound created by : Tatsuya Uemura