New Rally-X was released in February 1981.
While the original "Rally-X
", released under a Bally/Midway license, was a moderate hit in North America, Bally/Midway only distributed this updated version as an upgrade kit for "Rally-X
" cabinets. The game appeared quite frequently in mainland Europe and the United Kingdom, mainly in the form of uncredited bootlegs. It was at least as popular as "Rally-X
" in these regions, if not more so, primarily due to the game's greater playability and abundance of bootleg board stock.
Differences from "Rally-X
* The graphics for the cars have been slightly improved.
* The game has new background music, which many players have found quite enjoyable.
* The stage layouts have been simplified in order to reduce dead ends that a player could become trapped in.
* The number of enemy cars that appear in each stage has been reduced.
* The addition of the Lucky flag.
* The position of the special flag is indicated on the radar by the blinking dot.
* By default, you now get an extra life at 80,000 points in addition to 20,000 points.
* The number of rocks and enemy cars is indicated before each Challenging Stage.
New Rally-X is used as a loading game in "Ridge Racers" for the Sony PSP; it can also be selected as a mini-game.