Mighty Bomb Jack © 1986 Tecmo, Limited.
Mighty Bomb Jack is a sequel to the original 1984 single-screen platform game. The royal family has been kidnapped by the evil Belzebut and it's up to Bomb Jack to rescue them.
Unlike the original single-screen game, the sequel features both horizontal and vertically scrolling stages. Each level is split into two parts; an action zone and a Royal Palace room. The mechanics and level designs of the Royal Palace rooms are directly lifted from "Bomb Jack". Action zones can be split up into several portions and contain power-ups that are usually hidden in treasure chests. These include money bags, Mighty Coins and Mighty Drinks.
Mighty Coins allow Jack to change colours; blue allows Jack to open orange treasure chests, orange allows him to open any treasure chest by simply touching it from the side and green transforms all enemies on the screen into coins for five seconds. Mighty Drinks add ten seconds to the game's timer. Secret passages can also be found in the action zones, activated by finding a Sphinx in a visible or hidden treasure chest.
To prevent players from becoming too greedy, the game automatically sends them to a Torture Room if they obtain more than nine Mighty Coins or 99 seconds on the game's timer. The only way to escape a Torture Room without losing a life is to complete a number of jumps, which are counted down on the screen. Once the player exits the torture room, Jack automatically loses all Mighty Coins, the timer is reset to 60 seconds and the game recommences from the beginning of the current level.
In order to rescue the royal family, the player will need to find two hidden crystal balls and collect 'S' coins. With one crystal ball, the player will be able to rescue the queen; With two crystal balls, both the Queen and the Princess can be rescued. Should the player have both crystal balls plus five or more 'S' coins, they will also capture Belzebut, which gives the player a different game ending.
Mighty Bomb Jack also features 'bomb rooms', these allow the player to earn bonus points or to warp further into the game.
Game ID: TCF-MB
Mighty Bomb Jack was released on April 24, 1986 in Japan.
[US] "Mighty Bomb Jack [Model NES-BJ-USA]"
[EU] "Mighty Bomb Jack [Model NES-BJ-???]"
At the end of each level, collect the lit bombs in order and leave to receive 50, 000 bonus points.
* Bomb Rooms:
You can choose one of two procedures in these rooms, depending on whether you want to earn bonus points or warp further into the game. First, when you enter the bomb room and touch the first bomb, it will light itself. Pick it up, and another one will light up. Continue picking up only the lit bombs; when you pick up the last bomb, 50, 000 bonus points will be added to your score. Second, when you enter the bomb room and touch the first bomb, it will light itself. This time, DON'T pick up the lit bomb; pick up all the other bombs, leaving the lit bomb till last. When you finally pick it up, you'll automatically warp to the next bomb room.
* Where to find the Crystal balls...
The First Ball:
1. When you are in Room 7, find the two rows of fire that extend from the right wall in the second part of this room.
2. Jump into the fire closest to the right wall.
3. Touch the sphinx that appears, and a door will open below you.
4. Go through the door and up the green shaft to the upper-right corner.
5. Jump against the right wall to find an invisible chest that contains another sphinx.
6. Get the sphinx from the chest, and a door will open above you.
7. Enter the chamber, and jump on the row of chests above the third stone from the left to touch the crystal ball.
The Second Ball:
1. When you are in Room 12, find the lone stone in the middle of the room.
2. Jump just to the right of this stone to find an invisible chest.
3. Get the sphinx from the chest, and a door will open in the lava.
4. Enter the lava door, and you'll appear in a many-roomed maze.
5. Find the room with three brown chests along the left wall.
6. Start jumping on the top chest, and work your way down until you find another sphinx.
7. On the floor of that room, jump around to find an invisible chest containing another sphinx, which will open another door inside the maze.
8. Go through this door, and jump on the far-right stone several times.
9. Change yourself to green, and then jump on the stone underneath the stone you just jumped on.
* Game Genie codes:
PAOEZZLA: 1 life
TAOEZZLA: 6 lives
PAOEZZLE: 9 lives
VZUEZNVK: Infinite lives
AKOEGYAT: Less time in game
EEOEGYAT: More time in game
SXXALNVK: Stop timer
SXOESEVK: Enemies don't return from coin transformation
SZEEXUVK: Power coins are not used up
OESPNTLA: Disable torture room
ZEUOUAPA: Jump through walls
Game's description by Laurent Kermel; http://www.videogameden.com