Released in February 1981, Gorf was the first game ever to show multiple scenes.
Gorf has achieved the status of 'true status' and became legendary for its groundbreaking, yet almost unintelligible speech.
This game featured some early speech synthesis that was done in a similar manner to that in "Wizard of Wor
" (Gorf and Wizard of Wor ran on nearly identical hardware). Here is a list of the humorous phrases Gorf says throughout the game; [rank] denotes where Gorf speaks the player's current rank :
Attract mode :
1) Insert Coin!
2) I am the Gorfian Empire.
3) Long Live Gorf!
NOTE : Move the controller any time during the attract mode to trigger the speech.
Ready to play mode :
1) Long Live Gorf!
2) Push a player button.
Mission start-up :
1) Prepare yourself for annihilation, [rank]!
2) You will meet a Gorfian doom, [rank]!
3) Survival is impossible, [rank]!
4) You cannot escape the Gorfian robots!
5) I am the Gorfian Empire!
6) I am a Gorfian consciousness.
7) Gorfian robots...Attack! Attack!
8) Robot warriors, seek and destroy the [rank]!
9) My Gorfian robots are unbeatable!
10) Gorfians take no prisoners!
Player loses a ship :
1) Got you, [rank]!
2) Bad move, [rank]!
3) Some galactic defender you are, [rank]!
4) Another enemy ship destroyed!
5) Your end draws near, [rank]!
6) Ha ha ha ha!
Player loses last ship :
1) Too bad, [rank]!
2) Bite the dust, [rank]!
At game over :
1) Gorfians conquer another galaxy.
2) You cannot escape the Gorfian Robots.
3) All hail the supreme Gorfian Empire!
4) Try again; I devour coins!
Player destroys Flag Ship (and advances in rank; [new rank] denotes where Gorf speaks the player's new rank) :
1) Nice shot! You have been promoted to [new rank]!
2) For hitting my Flag Ship, you have been promoted to [new rank]!
3) In the Gorfian chronicals, you have been promoted to [new rank]!
4) Next time will be harder, but for now you have been promoted to [new rank]!
NOTES : These phrases may not be easy to hear over the loud explosion of the Flag Ship. The Rank lamp on the bezel moves over to the next rank as soon as Gorf begins speaking.
OTHER NOTES :
Have you ever noticed that GORF is FROG spelled backwards? Seriously, GORF is an acronym for 'Galactic Orbital Robot Force'.
The game's creator, Jay Fenton, designed a sequel to Gorf called 'Ms. Gorf', but it was never released. Jay Fenton underwent a sex change and is now known as Jamie Fenton.
A Star Trek tie in was originally planned by Midway, but when the first movie fell flat, the Enterprise sprite was reused as the Gorf Flag Ship.
Todd Rogers holds the official record for this game with 653,990 points.
A Gorf unit appears in the 1982 movie 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' and in the 1983 movie 'Joysticks'.
An upright Gorf unit appears in the 38 Special music video 'Caught Up In You'.