Crazy Taxi © 1999 Sega Enterprises, Limited.
An open world racing video game.
The main objective of the game is to pick up customers and take them to their chosen destination as quickly as possible. Along the way, money can be earned by performing stunts such as near misses with other vehicles. The player is directed to a destination by a large green arrow at the top of the screen. The arrow does not adjust based on obstacles, but rather points in the general direction of the destination. Once the player arrives near the destination, they must stop within a specified zone. When the destination is reached, that customer's fare is added to the player's total money earned. Ratings are then awarded depending on how long the player took to complete the journey. If the customer's timer runs out before the player reaches the destination the customer jumps from the taxi.
Cartridge ID: 840-0002C
Runs on the Sega "NAOMI" Hardware.
Screen Orientation: Horizontal
Crazy Taxi was released in February 1999.
The soundtrack was done by 'The Offspring' and 'Bad Religion', here is the list:
* All I Want (Offspring)
* Ten in 2010 (Bad Religion)
* Them and Us (Bad Religion)
* Way Down the Line (Offspring)
* Change the World (Offspring)
* Inner Logic (Bad Religion)
Crazy Taxi is a part of Sega's 'Real Life Career Series', others are "Emergency Call Ambulance", "Brave Firefighters", "Jambo! Safari", "18 Wheeler - American Pro Trucker" and "Airline Pilots".
JC Padilla of Orlando, Florida holds the official record for this game with a score of $106,184.94 on June 11, 2004.
Michael Jackson used to own this game. It was sold at the official Michael Jackson Auction on Apr. 24th, 2009.
* Reverse The Game Play : Normally when you begin playing the game, your taxi is already headed forward, and your first available fairs generally want to go to the Street Car stop. If you hold the gear selector in REVERSE while holding the BRAKE and ACCELERATOR before you press Start to begin the game, when you start, your taxi will be facing the opposite direction, and a whole new route of fairs begins.
* The Bicycle : Insert your tokens and then step on both pedals. Press Start and then select your driver (Note : You MUST hold on both pedals as you press Start and while you are selecting your driver). Press Up on the shifter and release both pedals. Press Down on the shifter and then press Start. The bicycle accelerates faster and brakes quicker but gets bumped around more often.
* See the End Credits : Finish playing Crazy Taxi with a score of $5,000.00 or more.
* More Difficult Track : Insert the amount of tokens required to play the game and then pull back the lever in Reverse. Press the start button. While still holding the handle, choose your driver with the Start Button.
* Pickup Swimmer at Beach : Snorkeling near the reefs outlying the west beach is a customer... But to pick her up, you'll have to drive into the ocean!
Here are the cabby's directions to the beach : At the beginning of the game, grab the person who's nearest to you. (She will want to be taken to the cable car stop). After arriving at her destination, let her out and make a sharp left. Snatch the customer with the outrageously large hat. (She will ask to be taken to the West Side Beach.) When you have arrived at the beach, drop her off and head straight into the water!
* $700 First Fare : At the beginning of the game, instead of driving forward, drive in reverse. Pick up the customer. She will pay $700 for a ride to the bottom of the hill!
* $975 fare : Make your way up to the roof of the parking garage by driving up the ramp at one of its corners. To the left, standing on a giant umbrella is an old lady. Let her hop aboard. She will ask you to take her to the police station and pay you a whopping $975!
* Crazy Dash : While moving forward, release both pedals. Put the car in 'Reverse'. Then put it in 'Drive' and press the accelerator (If done correctly, the taxi will instantly reach its top speed). Crazy Dashes are best used after accidents or after collecting fares.
* Power Slides : Like reckless driving (i.e., 'Crazy Throughs'), power-slides can increase your fare. To power-slide, suddenly throw the car into reverse then back into drive again while sharply turning the steering wheel.
* Start Game from Lookout Tower : To begin at the lookout tower, hold the gearshift in reverse while selecting a driver. Push Start. Then release the lever.
Developed by Hitmaker (Sega AM3).
Sega Dreamcast (2000)
Sony PlayStation 2 [SLPM 62102] (nov.2001)
Nintendo GameCube [DOL-GCTJ-JPN] (may.2002)
Nintendo Game Boy Advance (2003, "Crazy Taxi - Catch a Ride")
Microsoft Xbox 360 (2011; as part of the Dreamcast Collection compilation)
PC [Windows 9x] [HCJ-0327] (Sep.2002)
Android [Google Play] (mar.2013)
Official website; http://crazy-taxi.sega.jp/index.html