悪魔城ドラキュラ © 1986 Konami Industry Company, Limited.
Akumajou Dracula is the first game in the popular series. Set at the end of the 17th century, the game follows Simon Belmont, a member of the Belmont clan known for their vampire hunting skills, as he travels to Count Dracula's castle to defeat the evil vampire and his minions.
The castle is divided into six levels filled with enemies such as vampire bats, zombies, fish men, ravens, and skeletons. Simon can use his whip and collect secondary weapons, such as a stop watch, dagger, axe, cross, and holy water, to defeat these enemies. However, he can only carry one of these weapons at a time and they have limited quantities, which can be replenished by collecting hearts scattered throughout the levels.
Simon can also find other helpful items, such as crosses and invisibility potions, to aid him in his quest. Special items, such as double and triple shots, allow Simon to fire multiple special weapons at once. Each level culminates in a boss fight, with bosses ranging from Medusa to Death in the form of a Grim Reaper.
GAME ID: KDS-AKM
Akumajou Dracula for Famicom Disk System was released on September, 26, 1986 in Japan for 2980 Yen.
This game is known in the western regions as Castlevania. Here are some known export releases, in cartridge format, for the western NES:
"Castlevania [Model NES-CV-EEC]"
"Castlevania [Model NES-CV-NOE]"
"Castlevania [Model NES-CV-USA]"
The names listed in the ending credits are parodies of famous people who have ties to classic horror or monster films. They are:
Terence Fisher (Trans Fishers)
Bram Stoker (Vran Stoker)
James Bernard (James Banana)
Christoper Lee (Christopher Bee)
Bela Lugosi (Belo Lugosi)
Boris Karloff (Boris Karloffice)
Lon Chaney (Love Chaney)
Lon Chaney, Jr. (Love Chaney, Jr.)
Barbara Shelley (Barber Sherry)
Max Schreck (Max Schrecks)
Glenn Strange (Green Stranger)
Oliver Reed (Cafebar Read)
Andre Morell (Andre Moral)
John Carradine (John Candy)
* Completing the game and playing through for a second time, it is possible to make a number of Moaui heads appear in various locations. These Moaui heads are references to another Konami series, Gradius. These appear after:
- Standing on the moving platform of the second stage.
- Crouching atop a certain staircase in the third stage.
- Walking far to the right on the third area of the third stage.
1. Akumajou Dracula [Model KDS-AKM] (1986, Famicom Disk System)
2. Akumajou Dracula [Model RC744] (1986, MSX 2)
3. Dracula II - Noroi no Fuuin [Model KDS-DRK] (1987, Famicom Disk System)
4. Akumajou Dracula [Model GX768] (1988, Arcade)
5. Dracula Densetsu [Model DMG-CVJ] (1989, Game Boy)
6. Akumajou Densetsu [Model KON-RC845] (1989, Famicom)
7. Dracula Densetsu II [Model DMG-CWJ] (1991, Game Boy)
8. Akumajou Dracula [Model SHVC-AD] (1991, Super Famicom)
9. Akumajou Dracula X - Chi no Rondo [Model KMCD3005] (1993, PC-Engine CD)
10. Vampire Killer [Model T-95043] (1994, Mega Drive)
11. Akumajou Dracula XX [Model SHVC-ADZJ] (1995, Super Famicom)
12. Akumajou Dracula X - Gekka no Yasokyoku [Model SLPM-86023] (1997, PlayStation)
13. Akumajou Dracula - Shikkokutaru Zensoukyoku [Model DMG-ADNJ-JPN] (1997, Game Boy)
14. Akumajou Dracula Mokushiroku - Real Action Adventure [Model NUS-ND3J] (1999, Nintendo 64)
15. Akumajou Dracula Mokushiroku Gaiden - Legend of Cornell [Model NUS-ND4J] (1999, Nintendo 64)
16. Akumajou Nendaiki - Akumajou Dracula [Model SLPM-86754] (2001, PlayStation)
17. Akumajou Dracula - Circle of the Moon [Model AGB-AAMJ-JPN] (2001, GBA)
18. Castlevania - Byakuya no Concerto [Model AGB-ACHJ-JPN] (2002, GBA)
19. Castlevania - Akatsuki no Minuet [Model AGB-A2CJ-JPN] (2003, GBA)
20. Castlevania [Model SLPM-65444] (2003, PS2)
21. Akumajou Dracula - Sogetsu no Jujika [Model NTR-P-ACVJ] (2005, Nintendo DS)
22. Akumajou Dracula - Yami No Juin [Model SLPM-66175] (2005, PS2)
23. Akumajou Dracula - Gallery of Labyrinth [Model NTR-ACBJ-JPN] (2006, Nintendo DS)
24. Akumajou Dracula X Chronicle [Model ULJM-05287] (2007, PSP)
25. Akumajou Dracula Ubawareta Kokuin [Model NTR-YR9J-JPN] (2008, Nintendo DS)
26. Akumajou Dracula - The Arcade (2008, Arcade)
Nintendo Famicom (feb.5, 1993) "Akumajou Dracula [Model KON-RV003]"
Nintendo Wii [Virtual Console] (jul.17, 2007) [Model FBHJ]
Nintendo Wii U [Virtual Console] (dec.4, 2013) [Model FB3J]
Nintendo GBA (aug.8, 2004) "Akumajou Dracula [Famicom Mini] [Model AGB-FADJ-JPN]"
Nintendo 3DS [Virtual Console] (oct.17, 2012) [Model TA8J]
Sharp X68000 (jul.23, 1993) "Akumajou Dracula [Model RA960]"