In the game, the third in the sequel of Darius series; the player flies an ornate fighter craft called a Silver Hawk. The craft is equipped with two attack weapons: Missile (forward-firing standard gun) and Bomb (drops from the bottom of the ship). The Silver Hawk is also equipped with the 'Arm' (armor); a green energy shield that can absorb enemy attacks without harm to the ship. Some enemies leave panels behind that can be collected to power-up your shots, missiles or shield.
The graphics and sound are superior to those of the previous Darius games, and the game employs a lot of impressive visual effects; for example, the Silver Hawk warps into a stage dramatically in the fourth-tier stages, and begins to burn on re-entry at the start of the sixth-tier stages.
The bosses are huge and far more complex than those of the previous games, each employing several attack patterns and explode with powerful warping and twisting effects upon their defeat.
The title of this game translates from Japanese as 'Darius Side Story - Silver Hawk'.
The game forbids the initials 'SEX' on the high score table. If you try, it gets changed to 'AAA'.
Pony Canyon / Scitron released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Darius Gaiden - PCCB-00166) on November 18, 1994.
The US version has the "Recycle It, Don't Trash It!" screen.
There was an EXTRA version (on March 6, 1995) in this game and it was their official hack with increased rapid fire, and swapped bosses. In this EXTRA version, in a 1-player game, if you press 2P Start, you won't be able to select your path at the end of a level, and you'll have to complete the 28 levels to end the game. The same "trick" is available in a 2-player game if you press 2P Start first, then let Player 1 join in.
TIPS AND TRICKS
- Red Shield: Appears when a red enemy is destroyed. Your shots are powered up by one level.
- Green Shield: Appears when a green enemy is destroyed. When three have been obtained, your surface bombs are powered up by one level.
- Blue Shield: Appears when a blue enemy is destroyed. When five have been obtained, your barrier is upgraded by one level.
- Violet Shield: This is hidden in the landscape and appears when it is hit by a bomb. Your Black Hole bomb supply is increased by one.
- Silver Shield: This is hidden in the landscape and appears when it is hit by a bomb. Awards a bonus score.
- Gold Shield: This is hidden in the landscape and appears when it is hit by a bomb. It will destroy all enemies on the screen.
- Extend Medallion: This is hidden in the landscape and appears when it is hit by a bomb. It will award you one extra life.
Shoot the control ball to detach it from the mid-level boss. Then collect the ball to use the mid-level boss as a weapon.