Xexex © 1991 Konami.
Xexex is a horizontally-scrolling shoot-em-up in which players pilot a ship called the 'Flintlock' and must save the blue-haired Princess Irene of the planet E-Square from an evil lord named Klaus.
The player's ship has a detachable orb attachment called the Flint, which behaves in a similar fashion to the 'Force Device' from Irem's "R-Type" series. Power-ups can be obtained to increase the Flint's power, movement speed, change the main weapon, or even give the player an extra life.
The player starts the game armed with the Proton Laser, which emits thin stream of weak bullets. Defeating certain enemies will drop other weapons:
* Homing Laser: A 3-way laser with weak "bending" homing for top and bottom lasers.
* Shadow Laser: A laser beam that creates a damage-inflicting shadow as the ship moves up and down.
* Round Laser: An unusual spread shot (different from the overseas version's main weapon)
* Spiral Laser: A spiral laser of considerable width.
* Search Laser: A laser with strong homing that travels in square trajectories.
* Ground Laser: Fires an upgraded Proton Laser along with a laser beam that travels along the ground.
The name of the current weapon is displayed at the bottom of the screen. In the non-Japanese overseas versions, the only available weapon is the Proton Laser and picking up power-ups simply increases the spread of the weapon. Missiles are a secondary weapon.
Click to enlarge