Tsuukai Gangan Koushinkyoku was released in July 1994 in Japan.
This game is known outside Japan as Aggressors of Dark Kombat. (A)ggressors of (D)ark (K)ombat = ADK. The title is also a kind of pun on "Mortal Kombat
The title of this game translates from Japanese as 'Thrilling Intense March'. GANGAN is also Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound of a large bell or a scolding voice.
Criticism: Aggressors of Dark Kombat is a somewhat unknown title compared to SNK's other fighting franchises such as "Fatal Fury
", "Art of Fighting" and their signature fighting title "The King of Fighters
" and was not found in great numbers in arcades, nor did it's home console version sell well, and it is generally considered by reviewers and fans of the genre of the time, to be a mediocre title. Now, Aggressors of Dark Kombat is considered a cult game, recommended for all those gamers who wants a different game of those mentioned before.
The game features 8 selectable characters, these characters are not named anywhere in-game, unusual for the genre, which usually gives the character's name in the menu, and almost always places it at some point around the character's health bar. 7 of the characters are new and also appears Kotaro Fuuma from "World Heroes
* Joe Kusanagi - His nickname is 'Red Panther of Honmoku' and is the protagonist of this story. Joe is the most powerful and famous brawler of the Eastern zone of Japan (know as Kanto). Bored of doesn't find good opponents in his zone, he heard rumors about strong guys in the Western zone, so he travels there to confirm the rumor. Joe is the balanced character in the game, with many combo moves and various techniques. Apart of this game, he appears as a cameo in one of Kisarah's attacks in Neo Geo Battle Coliseum.
* Kisarah Westfield - Her nickname is 'Naive Tomboy'. An English school girl who is known as a femme fatale in Japanese schools. But Kisarah falls in love with Joe Kusanagi and now chases him to obligate Joe to be her boyfriend. She is the only female in this game, the most famous character, and one of the most versatile characters from this game. Kisarah appears as a selectable character in "Neo Geo Battle Coliseum" and as a SNK character card in "SNK vs. Capcom - Card Fighters DS".
* Goh Kidokoro - His nickname is 'Strong Spirit from Naniwa'. Goh is the most famous brawler in Western zone of Japan (known as Kansai) and he has his own gang. Goh got the news about the arrival of 'Red Panther from Honmoku' and now is waiting to fight against this new menace for his goal of nationwide conquest. Goh is the grappler from this game, with many powerful grabs and various powers.
* Kotaro Fuuma - His nickname is 'Angry Hurricane'. His story in the game is simply that he got lost during one of his travels through time and landed in 1994 Japan, where the game takes place, becoming involved in the ensuing fights. Like the rest of characters in AODK, Fuuma doesn't have powers (only his EnRyuuHa signature move from WH series makes the transition with him), but in return, he gains many combo moves and a teleport.
* Leonhalt Domador - His nickname is 'Black Bull'. A German brawler who escapes from his native country as a refugee. He comes to Japan to convert in the most strong fighter of all, no matter what for. Leonhalt is the tallest, slowest and the most powerful fighter from this game. Also he's the rival for Sheen Genus.
* Sheen Genus - His nickname is 'Rising Tiger'. A Canadian amateur wrestler who wants with his group to make his own professional Wrestling Federation, and now is searching strong people to join to him. Sheen is the wrestler of the game and is the rival of Leonhalt Domador. Recently appears in "SNK vs. Capcom - Card Fighters DS" as an Action card.
* Lee Hae Gwan - His nickname is 'White Fang'. A Chinese martial artist who lives in Japan and works for a school. Now he searches for revenge against the brawler who makes disasters in his school: Leonhalt Domador. Lee is one of the fastest characters in the game, who has a good arsenal of kicks and various martial tricks.
* Bobby Nelson - His nickname is 'Brown Bullet'. An African-American boy who is a basketball player and wanted to be known and famous. To achieve his objective, Bobby is traveling the world, waiting to be discovered. Bobby is the fastest and smallest character in this game, and the only one who always have a weapon within (in this case, his basket ball). Recently appears in "SNK vs. Capcom - Card Fighters DS" as an Action card, along with Sean Matsuda from "Street Fighter III
The game features written lyrics at the credits roll for each character, either it was not feasible to get vocal works for these songs, or it could be an attempt to invite gamers to have fun with these by attempting some sort of karaoke. The latter option seems highly probable due to the popularity of karaoke in Japan.
Soundtrack releases :
[JP] October 21, 1994, "Tsuukai Gangan Koushinkyoku [GSM 1500 Series] [PCCB-00163] - Pony Canyon / Scitron