The Legend of Kage © 1985 Taito Corp.
As a Ninja, defeat the evils from Devil's World and save the Princess.
At the end of the Edo Period (late 19th century) in Japan, a Corps formed by the evils, which had come back to life from the Devil's World, was terrifying people all over the country. One day the princess 'Kiri', a daughter of the lord, was kidnapped by the Corps. In order to save her from them, a number of militia were sent to the Corps' Headquarters, but none of them ever returned. Then one young man headed for the Corps' Headquarters to save the princess. His name 'Kage', a ninja from Iga Village.
Board Number : M4300040A
Prom Stickers : A54
Main CPU : Zilog Z80 (@ 6 Mhz), Motorola M68705 (@ 2 Mhz)
Sound CPU : Zilog Z80 (@ 6 Mhz)
Sound Chips : (2x) Yamaha YM2203 (@ 4 Mhz)
Players : 2
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 2
Even if the title screen says MCMLXXXIV (1984), The Legend of Kage was released in October 1985 in Japan.
Bug? feature?: Under attract mode only from the bootleg versions can be played for several seconds until the ninja dies.
- Use the joystick to move, jump and duck.
- Use the buttons to attack with your sword and to throw shuriken.
- Kage must fight through five stages in order to rescue the princess:
(1) Forest : Kage must avoid the attacks of the shinobi (enemy ninja) and Yobo monks. Defeat the red Yobo that appears after defeating three normal Yobos to complete the stage.
(2) Cave : Kage must kill a certain number of shinobi.
(3) Castle Wall : Move Kage in the direction of the arrows to climb the castle wall while dodging the attacks of shinobi.
(4) Mansion : Rescue the princess on the top floor by cutting the rope.
(5) Forest Stage 2 : Defeat Yuikasa Yoshiro (the evil warlord) and his right-hand man, Yukinosuke, who chase Kage and the princess.
- Kage is constantly under attack by enemies, so you must be alert at all times. Avoid the enemy swords and spikes by jumping up, ducking down or blocking them with your sword.
- Yobo attacks Kage with his iron club and flames. When being attacked with the flame, it is better to stay low and approach Yobo from underneath.
1. The Legend of Kage (1984)
2. Kage Densetsu - The Legend of Kage 2 (2008, Nintendo Ds)
Music by : Hisayoshi Ogura
[JP] Nintendo Famicom (apr.18, 1986) "Kage no Densetsu [Model TFC-KD-4900]"
[US] Nintendo NES (aug.1987) "The Legend of Kage [Model NES-KA-USA]"
[JP] Sony PS2 (aug.25, 2005) "Taito Memories Gekan [Model SLPM-66092]"
Sony PlayStation 2 [AU] (mar.30, 2006) "Taito Legends 2 [Model SLES-53852]"
[EU] Microsoft XBOX (mar.31, 2006) "Taito Legends 2"
[EU] Sony PS2 (mar.31, 2006) "Taito Legends 2 [Model SLES-53852]"
[US] Sony PS2 (may.16, 2007) "Taito Legends 2 [Model SLUS-21349]"
[JP] Sony PS4 [PSN] (oct.2, 2015) "Arcade Archives - Kage no Densetsu [Model CUSA-03576]"
Sony PlayStation 4 [PSN] [US] (dec.1, 2015) "Arcade Archives - The Legend of Kage [Model CUSA-03714]"
Sony PlayStation 4 [PSN] [EU] [AU] (feb.16, 2016) "Arcade Archives - The Legend of Kage [Model CUSA-03935]"
Sony PSP [AS] (jan.3, 2006) "Taito Memories Pocket [Model UCAS-40040]"
[JP] Sony PSP (jan.5, 2006) "Taito Memories Pocket [Model ULJM-05076]"
Sony PSP [KO] (feb.10, 2006) "Taito Memories Pocket"
[EU] Sony PSP (oct.6, 2006) "Taito Legends Power-Up [Model ULES-00473]"
[AU] Sony PSP (nov.9, 2006) "Taito Legends Power-Up [Model ULES-00473]"
[US] Sony PSP (may.17, 2007) "Taito Legends Power-Up [Model ULUS-10208]"
Sinclair ZX Spectrum [US] (1986)
[EU] [US] Commodore C64 (1987)
[EU] Amstrad CPC (1986)
[JP] MSX (1986) "Kage no Densetsu [Model MSX-9]"
Amstrad CPC [US] (1988) "Taito Coin-Op Hits"
[EU] PC [MS Windows, CD-ROM] (mar.31, 2006) "Taito Legends 2"
[US] PC [MS Windows, CD-ROM] (jul.10, 2007) "Taito Legends 2"