Super Zaxxon © 1982 Sega.
Click to enlarge
|Super Zaxxon was released in November 1982.|
After the release of "Zaxxon", Sega realized it had a hit on its hands. The unique nature of the game featuring its three-quarter perspective was one of the first (if not the first) games to add depth and some feeling of perspective to a space game. Sega was quick to follow up on this success with Super Zaxxon.
Super Zaxxon built on the Zaxxon model by creating a more challenging game. Although Super Zaxxon didn't do as well as its predecessor, it still created a respectable niche as far as arcade games went. Sega went on to produce other games such as "Star Trek", "Buck Rogers", "Pengo", and "Tac/Scan" to name a few.
Differences Between Super Zaxxon and "Zaxxon" : Although both games look the roughly the same in design, this is where the similarities end. Super Zaxxon was made to be a more challenging game. It achieves this by the following differences :
* Your fighter moves much faster. This makes going after ground targets a big challenge.
* The graphics are different. Although this is more of a viewing difference, it can still change ones perspective after they have gotten used to the Zaxxon graphics.
* There is no more outer space battle. Instead, you must go through a narrow tunnel to get to area 3.
* Instead of 20 fighters, you now have to tangle with 25 fighters in area 2.
* A new enemy, the Mine Layer, is introduced. As the name implies, this ship lays mines in your path. You can destroy the mines but it takes a few hits.
* Instead of encountering one Zaxxon robot, you now have to deal with three Super Zaxxon, dragon looking robots.
* The placement of things (fuel tanks, gun implacements, etc.) in areas 1 and 3 is different then in Zaxxon.
* There are now indestructible, elevated guns in area 1. These guns sit on the right side and they are 2.5 units in altitude.
Click to see more