Super Mario Bros. for Famicom was released on September 13, 1985 in Japan at a retail price of 4900 Yen.
According to the Guinness Book Of Records, Super Mario Bros. is the best-selling video game of all time, with a total of 40.23 million units sold worldwide, as of 1999.
Many easter eggs were intentionally left in the game during the development, but 'Minus World' was a programming error only discovered after the game had hit the market (see 'Tips and Tricks' section for more info).
To most peoples surprise, Bowser is in fact a Turtle.
The underground music theme was certainly inspired by Friendnship's "Let's Not Talk About It" (1979)
Mario is 16 pixels high when he is small and 32 pixels high when he get a mushroom.
Export releases :
[US] "Super Mario Bros. [Model NES-SM-USA]
[EU] "Super Mario Bros. [Model NES-SM-EEC]
[FR] "Super Mario Bros. [Model NES-SM-FRA]"
[AU] "Super Mario Bros. [Model NES-SM-AUS]
* Warps :
1) Warp to World 2, 3, or 4 : In World 1-2, boogie over the end pipe by walking on the ceiling and behind the wall you'll find a Warp Zone where you can warp to World 2, 3, or 4.
2) Warp to World 5 : In World 4-2, walk on the ceiling like you did in 1-2 and you'll find a Warp to World 5.
3) Warp to World 6, 7, or 8 : This is the second Warp Zone you can reach from World 4-2.
After the first elevator lift, there is a pit and three brick blocks above you. Jump around and you'll find four hidden coin blocks under the three bricks. Use the hidden blocks you just uncovered to hit the first brick which will sprout a Vine. The Vine leads to some Coins and the second Warp Zone.
* The World -1 a.k.a The Minus World (Note : You must be either big or have fire power to do this) : Go to the end of world 1-2, where all the elevators are. Go past the elevators, but before the warp zone. You should see a horizontal warp pipe that leads outside. Don't go in this pipe. Instead, jump on top of it. Now, break the two rightmost bricks above you, but not the one that is touching the green pipe! Now, stand on the pipe, but as far left as you can go without falling off the pipe. Now duck and jump up. In the air, make sure you hold right as hard as you can, but stay ducked. If you accidentally break the brick that is touching the green pipe, then you can't do it. Keep trying this, it will take many attempts to accomplish. When you finally do it successfully, Mario will get sucked into the wall and start 'moonwalking' through it. While you are moonwalking, don't touch any buttons except for the joystick. If you try to jump, you will go through the top wall, and you'll have to do it all over again. When you are done moonwalking, you'll come out the other side. On the other side, there will be three warp pipes. Enter either the leftmost or the rightmost warp pipe before the screen scrolls all the way to the right. If done successfully, a screen should now appear which will say you are on world -1.
Rumor : There is a second Minus World. The -2 world has a 1 in 2002 percent chance of working, but it does work. There is King Goomba at the end.
* The Double Jump : After grabbing a Mushroom in mid-air, Mario can pull off another jump with the right timing. First, time a jump so that small Mario is on his way down when he grabs a Mushroom. While Mario is transforming, hold A and he'll jump again when his transformation into Super Mario is complete.
* Fire while small : Go to any Boss level, except for the final level. Make sure that Mario is big when reaching the Boss. Jump on the little axe object so you hit the Koopa (Boss) and the axe at the same instant. You will flash as you were hit but will remain as Super Mario. On the next level, get a mushroom and it will actually make Mario small. Finally, get a flower and Mario will have firepower when he is small.
* Fireworks : Hit the flagpole at the end of a level when the last digit of the timer is 1, 3, or 6.
* At the end of any world X-4 you can get a bonus for time = 0. Complete
the level with exactly 0 seconds left, it'll give you points for 1,000.
* Continue : When you get a Game Over screen, hold down A and press Start. You will start on the first level of the world you died on.
* After beating the game, the player was given the option to start again in 'Hard Mode'. All Goombas are replaced by Buzzy Beetles (Koopa Troopa-like enemies who cannot be killed by fireballs), and all enemies walk faster.
1. Mario Bros. [No. TMA1-UP] (1983)
2. Super Mario Bros. [Model HVC-SM]
3. Super Mario Bros. 2 [Model FMC-SMB]
4. Super Mario Bros. 3 [Model HVC-UM]
5. Super Mario Land [Model DMG-MLA]
(1989, Game Boy)
6. Super Mario World - Super Mario Bros. 4 [Model SHVC-MW]
(1991, Super Famicom)
7. Super Mario Land 2 - 6-tsu no Kinka [Model DMG-L6J]
8. Wario Land - Super Mario Land 3 [Model DMG-WJA]
(1993, Game Boy)
9. Super Mario - Yossy Island [Model SHVC-YI]
(1995, Super Famicom)
10. Super Mario 64
(1997, Nintendo 64)
11. Super Mario Sunshine (2002, Gamecube)
12. Yoshi's Island DS (2006, DS)
13. New Super Mario Bros. (2006, DS)
14. Super Mario Galaxy (2007, Wii)
15. New Super Mario Bros. Wii [Model RVL-SMNJ-JPN]
16. Super Mario Galaxy 2
17. Super Mario 3D Land (2011, 3DS)
18. New Super Mario Bros. 2 (2012, DS)
19. New Super Mario Bros. U (2012, Wii U)
20. New Super Luigi U (2013, Wii U)
21. Super Mario 3D World (2013, Wii U)
[JP] NEC PC-8801 (1986) "Super Mario Bros. Special
[JP] Sharp X1 (1986) "Super Mario Bros. Special
[JP] Nintendo Super Famicom (jul.14, 1993) "Super Mario Collection [Model SHVC-4M]
[JP] Nintendo Wii [Virtual Console] (dec.2, 2006) [Model FAGJ]
[JP] Nintendo Wii (oct.21, 2010) "Super Mario Collection Special Pack [Model RVL-SVMJ-JPN]"
[JP] Nintendo Wii U [Virtual Console] (jun.5, 2013) [Model FAAJ]
[JP] Nintendo Game Boy Color (mar.1, 2000) "Super Mario Bros. Deluxe [Model CGB-AHYJ-JPN]
[JP] Nintendo Game Boy Advance (feb.14, 2004) "Famicom Mini: Super Mario Bros. [Model AGB-FSMJ-JPN]"
[JP]Nintendo 3DS [Virtual Console] (sept.1, 2011) 3D Ambassador Program
[JP] Nintendo 3DS [Virtual Console] (jan.5, 2012) [Model TAAJ]