Satan's Hollow was designed and programmed by Arcade Engineering, who designed a slew of games for Midway before being bought out by them in 1985.
Satan's Hollow was released in 1982. The copyright date on the screen says 1981 but Jeff was still working on it when Brian was hired in the fall of 1982.
The game drew some criticism in the bible belt for its theme.
Some wiring harnesses are labeled 'Satan's Master' and others have 'Satan's Power' on the tag. These may have been pre-production titles for the game.
It seems like this game has copied its ideas from many other places. Check it out :
* Enemies going down and attacking your stock is similar to the ducks from "Carnival
* The elaborate, mostly static background reminds of "Pleiads
* The shield idea is used similarly to the shield in "Phoenix
" (though you couldn't move when using it then, and it took longer to recharge).
* The diving enemy concept was used first in "Galaxian
* The shot-increasing power-up concept originated in "Galaga
A Satan's Hollow unit appears in the 1983 movie 'Joysticks'.