Picnic [Model VC2004]
A 36-year-old Atari 2600 Cart. by US Games
Emulated in MAME !
Information for the following ROM(s): picnic
Picnic © 1982 US Games Corp.
Picnic is a one or two player game. You call this a picnic!!?? Just when you are ready to sit down and eat your juicy cheeseburgers, a swarm of nasty bugs comes along intent on beating you to the munch. They start eating and you start swatting, and the battle has begun. It's a good thing you brought along your bug zapping trap. Now, swat those critters into the trap, and just maybe there will be something left for you to eat for lunch.
Picnic features six game aariations:
Game 1 - Single player, beginner skill level
Game 2 - Single player, intermediate skill level
Game 3 - Single player, advanced skill level
Game 4 - Two player, beginner skill level
Game 5 - Two player, intermediate skill level
Game 6 - Two player, advanced skill level
Note: The two player variations use the left paddle controller only, which can be passed back and forth when turns change. Each player's turn is indicated by different colored scores on the screen. Scores of each player are displayed, flashing alternately when the game is over.
* Swatting a bug = 10 points
* Swatting a bug into trap = 20 points
* Swatting Super Bug = 40 points
* Swatting Super Bug into trap = 1000 points
* For starters, you should know some basic (sneaky) attributes of the game; if you haven't already noticed, the bugs can shoot through your paddle and eat your burgers unless you activate it by pressing the 'fire' (or 'swat' in this case) button at the exact time the bug extends his needlelike tongue. Also, note that you can't hold the paddle in swatting position - as it returns to its normal position a split second after activation. This calls for exact timing on the swat! Anticipate the bug's hunger and get him before he eats your lunch!
* The best swatting position is near the center, between trap and burgers on either side. Even though this area puts the most bugs in the jar, you are trying to save your burgers! Therefore, it is good strategy, nay - necessity - to swat bugs even if you don't trap them; otherwise, you may really be out to lunch without the food!
* Beware of Super Bug as he comes on screen immediately after you complete a wave. He can and will shoot from high altitudes, so home in on him early. When he gets into feeding position, swat away at that two-tongued devil.
* Now, stay cool, don't get bugged, and save those burgers before your Picnic turns into a bugfest!!