The Arcade Video Game PCB by Gaelco
Emulated in MAME !
Information for the following ROM(s): maniacsq maniacsp maniacsqa maniacsqu
[ARCADE] Arcade Video Game PCB
Maniac Square © 1992 Gaelco.
Main CPU : Motorola 68000 (@ 13 Mhz)
Sound Chips : GAELCO (@ 13 Mhz)
Screen orientation : Horizontal
Video resolution : 320 x 240 pixels
Screen refresh : 59.10 Hz
Palette colors : 65520
Players : 2
Control : 8-way joystick
Buttons : 1
Releases in April 1992.
The final version (that is very different) was released in 1996, 4 years after the prototype (see Updates section for more info).
Default highscore table (RANKING) :
1 PAB 200
2 TOM 180
3 RIC 160
4 JPC 140
5 EVM 120
6 JQB 100
7 GIF 80
8 ARJ 60
9 GOJ 40
Differences between the Prototype version (Game ID : 922804/2) and the final release :
* The Prototype uses a OKI6295 @ 8 Khz instead of the GAELCO @ 13 Mhz.
* The Prototype has a very different soundtrack, which creates a different atmosphere when playing the game (Prototype has guitar music, Final release has folk songs, such as Barnacle Bill).
* In the Prototype version there is a digital scoreboard that was not there in the final version.
* In the final release, there are no special blocks and helps.
* In the final release, when only one player plays, the playing area is centered in the screen.
* In the final release, when there is only one player playing the game, the screen has only one playing field.
* The final release is an endurance game, while the Prototype is ala Tetris from Atari, a levels game.