Killer Instinct 2 © 1996 Midway Mfg. Co.
A great sequel of the previous game include new features and new characters.
The plot follows on where the first installment left off. Eyedol's death at the hands of Orchid accidentally sets off a time warp, transporting some of the combatants back in time and allowing the Demon Lord Gargos to escape from Limbo.
Now, trapped 2000 years in the past, the warriors that survived Killer Instinct, along with several new faces, fight for the right to face Gargos in combat. Each character that survived the journey from the first game has a corresponding background story, while new characters on this installment are native inhabitants of this past time period. Some fighters, like T.J. Combo who survives from the original, just want to get home. Others, like new character Tusk, want to bring an end to Gargos and his reign of evil. This time there is no tournament or prize money, just a fight to the finish with the fate of the future hanging in the balance.
Main CPU : R4600 (@ 100 Mhz)
Sound CPU : ADSP2105 (@ 10 Mhz)
Sound Chips : DMA-driven (@ 10 Mhz)
Screen Orientation : Horizontal
Video Resolution : 320 x 240 Pixels
Screen Refresh : 60.00 Hz
Palette Colors : 32768
Players : 2
Control : 8-Way Joystick
Buttons : 6
=>  QP,  MP,  FP
=>  QK,  MK,  FK
Killer Instinct 2 was released in January 1996. Manufactured & sold by Midway under license from Nintendo. Developed by Rare.
In addition to the already impressive amount of endings the game has, there are still a bunch of others that were never "tied into the game", according to programmer Chris Tilston. However, thanks to a text dump, they have been found. It is unknown what the conditions to unlock them were going to be. These are the unused endings:
1) WITH ALL TASKS SUCCESSFULLY COMPLETE, FULGORE WANDERS FOREVER IN THE PAST, LOST AND DEVOID OF PURPOSE.
2) FULGORES FAILURE TO ELIMINATE ORCHID IS A FATAL MISTAKE, WHICH HE DOES NOT LIVE TO REGRET.
3) WITH FULGORES DEATH, ALL REMAINING TRACES OF ULTRATECH ARE ERASED. THE FORCES OF EVIL HAVE LOST THIS FIGHT.
1) JAGO WILL FEEL FOREVER EMPTY, BUT ULTRATECH IS DESTROYED. HIS QUEST TO SMASH THE EVIL THERE IS OVER - BUT AT WHAT COST...?
2) TOGETHER THEY UTTERLY DESTROY THE REMNANTS OF THE ULTRATECH CORPORATION. THE FORCES OF GOOD HAVE WON AN IMPORTANT BATTLE.
3) JAGO IS DEAD, BUT AT LEAST HE STOPPED ULTRATECH - OR DID HE... FULGORE HAS A NEW TARGET - JAGO'S ANCESTORS. IF JAGO WASN'T BORN, HE COULDN'T DESTROY ULTRATECH. FULGORE WILL WAIT...
4) FULGORE SURVIVES AND REBUILDS ULTRATECH FROM ITS BURNING ASHES. JAGO AND ORCHID WILL RISE AND FACE THIS FOE AGAIN AS A TEAM.
5) JAGO AND ORCHID UTTERLY DESTROY THE REMNANTS OF THE ULTRATECH CORPORATION. THE FORCES OF GOOD ARE VICTORIOUS ONCE MORE.
1) USING THE GOLD FOUND IN THE PAST HE LIVES HIS LONG LIFE LIKE A KING, FINALLY DYING AN OLD AND HAPPY MAN.
2) NOBODY BELIEVES HIS STORY ON HIS RETURN, BUT HE CARES NOT. HE'S RICH, HE'S MEAN AND HE'S BACK.
1) NOT ONLY HAS SPINAL DEFEATED HIS HATED MASTER, HE HAS ALSO RECOVERED THE ARTIFACT USED TO SUMMON HIM. HIS DESTINY LIES IN HIS OWN HANDS.
2) BUT WHILE HIS DESTINY CAN BE ALTERED SPINAL'S FATE REMAINS FIXED AS A VENGEFUL ENEMY ARRIVES TO SETTLE A SCORE.
3) USING THE ARTIFACT, SPINAL BOLDLY RAISES AN ARMY OF UNDEAD WARRIORS. WITH FEW LEFT TO STAND IN HIS WAY, THE WORLD WILL SURELY FALL.
1) BUT STUMBLING INTO THE ALIENS SHIP IS A FATAL MISTAKE. SEIZING THE CHANCE FOR REVENGE, THE ALIENS SHOW POOR SABREWULF NO MERCY.
2) WITH TECHNOLOGY RETRIEVED FROM GLACIUS'S SHIP, HE FINALLY DISCOVERS A CURE AND RETURNS TO HUMAN FORM FREE AT LAST OF THE BEAST.
1) WITH THE LOSS OF THE EARTH GODDESS'S PROTECTION, THE NATION OF AMAZONIA IS LUCKY ENOUGH TO FIND A NEW GUARDIAN.
2) BUT WITH THE EARTH GODDESS NO LONGER WATCHING OVER THEM, ONLY MAYA REMAINS TO STAND ALONE AGAINST THE ENEMIES OF AMAZONIA.
REVISION 1 :
* Software version : 1.0
REVISION 2 :
* Software version : 1.1
REVISION 3 :
* Software version : 1.3
REVISION 4 :
* Software version : 1.4
* Play As Gargos : At the character selection screen, hold Up on the joystick, then press FP, MP, MK, FK, MP, QP, QK, MK.
* Random Select : At the character selection screen, hold Up on the joystick and press the Start button.
* Speed Codes : The following combinations should be held at the 'VS' screen to change the speed setting of the match.
Turbo speed - Down+MP or MK.
Ultra speed - Down+FP or FK.
Cancel speed code - Down+QP or QK.
* Stage Select / Music Select : After choosing the character you want with the Start button, immediately press and hold Up or Down along with one of the Punch or Kick buttons. Different combinations allow different boards. The first player to choose their character gets to choose the stage. The second player gets to choose the music with the same method.
Up+LP - Sabrewulf stage.
Up+MP - Maya stage.
Up+HP - Glacius stage.
Up+LK - Tusk stage.
Up+MK - Fulgore stage.
Up+HK - Orchid stage.
Down+LP - Jago stage.
Down+MP - Gargos stage.
Down+HP - T.J. Combo stage.
Down+LK - Kim Wu stage.
Down+MK - Spinal stage.
Down+HK - Spinal stage.
Down+MK (both controllers) - Sky Platform.
* Alternate Costumes : At the character select screen, press Up or Down on the joystick.
* Finishers : 'Ultra combo' and 'Ultimates' are within-combo, 'No Mercy' can be done anywhere.
Assault : B, F, [FK]
Ultra Combo : F, B, [FP]
Ultimate - 'Screen Punch' : Hold [QK], release [QK]. TJ punches opponent, he flies the friendly skies.
No Mercy - 'Gun'em Down' : (F), DF, D, DB, B, F [FK]. TJ takes out a gun, and shots the crap out of the opponent.
Assault : F, D, DF, [QP]
Ultra Combo : F, D, DF, [QK]
Ultimate - 'Heavy Artillery' : F, B, DB, D, DF, F, [MK]. Fulgore turns into a battletech and shoots heavy artillery at opponent.
No Mercy - 'Lazer': B, DB, D, DF, F, B, [MP]. laser falls from the sky, your opponents veins and a whole bloody mess is left behind.
Assault : D, DB, B, [QK]
Ultra Combo : D, DF, F, [QK]
Ultimate - 'Ice Spear' : F, DF, D, DB, B, F, [MK]. Glacius stabs the opponent with an ice pick.
No Mercy - 'Ice Crusher' : B, D, DB, B, [QK]. Glacius grabs his opponent, freezes him and blam!
Assault : DB, D, DF, [QK]
Ultra Combo : DF, D, DB, [QK]
Ultimate - 'Laser Sword Stab' : F, D, DF, [FK]. Uhm hah yiha! Nice swords play by Jago.
No Mercy - 'Fireball Scorcher' : F, DF, D, DB, B, F ,[MP]. The tiger spirit within Jago causes a dragon to appear. He burns the crap out of the character.
Assault : D, DB, B, [QK]
Ultra Combo : D, DF, F, [QK]
Ultimate - 'Star' : B, DB, D, DF, F, B, [QK]. A star explodes in your face!!!
No Mercy - 'Chest Stomp' : (B), F, B, DB, D, DF, F, [MK]. Kim-Wu goes wild and steps on your chest! Yippie!
Assault : (F), B, [FP]
Ultra Combo : (F), B, [FK]
Ultimate - 'Elephant' : F, DF, D, DB, B, F, [QK]. An elephant magically fall on your opponent.
No Mercy - 'Shrinker' : B, DB, D, DF, F, B, [QP]. A red ray its emitted from Maya's forehead. The opponent is shrunk down to size.
Assault : D, DF, F, [FP]
Ultra Combo : D, DB, B, [QK]
No Mercy - 'Scorcher' : B, F, DF, D, DB, B, [MK]. Orchid throws a fireball that fries the opponent.
Assault : F, B, [QK]
Ultra Combo : B, F, [QK]
Ultimate - 'Electrocution' : Hold [FK], Release [FK]. Electrifying!
No Mercy - 'Bat Attack' : Hold [QP] Release [QP]. A flock of bats carry the character off screen. Then you hear a loud scream and blood drips.
Assault : B, DB, D, DF, F, [FP]
Ultra Combo : F, DF, D, DB, B, [FP]
Ultimate - 'Sword Play' : D, D, [QK]. Spinals starts cutting the opponent then he fries him with lighting!
No Mercy - 'Skull Drop' : D, DF, F, D, DF, F, [QP]. A BIG ass skull falls on the opponent.
Assault : B, DB, D, DF, F, [MP]
Ultra Combo : F, DF, D, DB, B, [MP]
Ultimate - 'Dinosaur Attack' : F, D, DF, [MK]. A dinosaur appears in the middle of nowhere and has a snack.
No Mercy - 'Meteor Shower' : B, DB, D, DF, F, B, DB, D, DF, F, [MP]. Lots of meteors come down at the opponent.
* Unlock the endings:
"Kill" a character means to perform an Ultimate/No Mercy/Stage Fatality on the character and then proceed to defeat Gargos.
Jago Ending: 1- Don't kill Orchid or Fulgore, 2- Kill Orchid and Fulgore, 3- Kill Orchid, but bot Fulgore, 4- Kill Fulgore, but not Orchid.
Orchid Ending: 1- Don't kill Sabrewulf or Jago, 2- Kill Sabrewulf and Jago, 3- Kill Sabrewulf, but bot Jago, 4- Kill Jago, but not Sabrewulf.
Fulgore Ending: 1- Don't kill Orchid or Jago, 2- Kill Orchid and Jago, 3- Kill Orchid, but bot Jago, 4- Kill Jago, but not Orchid.
Glacius Ending 1 & 2: Destroy the wall in Sabrewulf's stage and then kill Sabrewulf or let him live.
Glacius Ending 3 & 4: Do not destroy the wall in Sabrewulf's stage, but kill Sabrewulf or let him live.
Tusk Ending 1 & 2: Destroy the hanging piece of wing in Glacius' stage and then kill TJ Combo or let him live.
Tusk Ending 3 & 4: Do not destroy the hanging piece of wing in Glacius' stage, but kill TJ Combo or let him live.
Kim Wu Ending 1 & 2: Without using a continue, kill Spinal or let him live.
Kim Wu Ending 3 & 4: Use at least 1 continue and kill Spinal or let him live.
Maya Ending 1 & 2: Kill Tusk or let him live.
Spinal Ending 1 & 2: Kill Kim Wu or let her live.
Sabrewulf Ending 1 & 2: Kill Glacius or let him live.
TJ Combo Ending 1 & 2: Kill Tusk or let him live.
* Game Development :
Head programmer : Mark Betteridge
Gameplay programmer : Chris Tilston
Character design and models : Kevin Bayliss
Background design and models : Chris Seavor
Music and sound : Robin Beanland
3-D background, frontend programmer : Robert Harrison
Artificial intelligence programmer : Tony Wong
Additional programming : Martin Mollis
Rendered sequences : Lee Musgrave
Additional graphics : Don Murphy, Philip Dunnie, Keri Gunn
Character voices : S. Yamashiro, M. Yamada, Luise Stamper, Chris Seavor, Isaac Marshall, Armond Williams, Adrian Smith, Keiko Tamura, Keri Gunn, Ken Lobb, Chris Sutherland
Vocals : Faye Newborough
Live guitar and trumpet : Grant Kirkhope
Chants and sound FX : The Lads
Motion capture Actors : Kevin Bayliss : Simon Farmer, Louise Stamper, Dean Smith, Jon Paul Jenkins
Quality assurance : Huw Ward, James Charlesworth, Gavin Hood, Ken Lobb, ISaac Marshall, Henry Sterchi, Armond Williams, Melvin 'Medium kick' Forest, Shane Lewis, Kyle Carlson, Joe Stamper, Darren Walker, Eddie Ferrier
Game design and game producers : Chris Tilston, Mark Betteridge, Kevin Bayliss
Additional design : Ken Lobb, James Charlesworth, Gavin Hood
Hardware design : Chris Stamper, Pete Cox
* Game Manufacture :
Executive producers : Neil Nicastro, Ken Fedesna, Paul Dussault
Hardware : Cary Mednick, Steve Correll, Pat Cox, Al Lasko, John Lowes, Mike Lynch
Mechanical : Ted Valavanis, Chris Bobrowski, Donna Conrad, Gail Jonkovski, Keith Novak, Tom Sedor
Cabinet graphics : Nik Ehrlich
Nintendo SNES : Unreleased prototype
Nintendo 64 "Killer Instinct Gold"