[CONSOLE] Atari 2600 Cart.
Joust © 1983 Atari, Incorporated.
The objective of JOUST is to defend yourself and score points by unseating opponents in a joust. The winner of a joust is the rider whose mount is highest at the moment of contact. If the mounts are of equal height, the joust is a draw.
Your opponents are the Buzzard Riders. There are three types, each more dangerous than the last: the Bounders (wearing red), the Hunters (wearing gray), and the Shadow Lords (wearing blue).
When you unseat a Buzzard Rider in a joust, he and his mount turn into an egg and float ominously around the jousting arena. If you grab the egg, it will disappear and you'll score bonus points. If you don't grab the egg it will eventually hatch into an even more dangerous opponent.
When you lose a joust, you'll materialize again on the bottom ledge -- if you have any lives remaining. Until you fully materialize, you're protected from attack. Once your bird is moved, however, you become fair game for a joust.
There are two game variations in Joust -- EASY and SKILLED. EASY game variations are identified by a teddy-bear symbol next to the score. In EASY game variations you face only one opponent at a time, and the Hunters, Shadow Lords, and pterodactyls do not appear.
Unseating a Buzzard Rider:
Bounder: 500 Points
Hunter: 750 Points
Shadow Lord: 1500 Points
1st egg: 250 Points
2nd egg: 500 Points
3rd egg: 750 Points
4th egg and each egg thereafter: 1000 Points
Losing a life: 50 Points
Unseating another player (two-player game): 2000 Points
Survivng a Survival Wave: 3000 Points
Cooperating in a Team Wave: 3000 Points
Unseating another player in a Gladiator Wave: 3000 Points
Destroying a pterodactyl: 1000 Points
* Play the EASY version first to learn how to control your bird. Try keeping your flight steady and even, rather than bouncing off ledges.
* Learn the flight patterns of the Buzzard Riders. Try to predict when an area should be avoided, or where to expect the next Rider.
* Clear the screen of opponents as soon as you can. If too much time passes, the pterodactyl will appear.
* Collect eggs quickly. If you wait too long, they'll hatch into new Buzzard Riders.
* Stay away from the sides of the jousting arena since a Buzzard Rider or pterodactyl could appear unexpectedly.