[CONSOLE] Atari 2600 Cart.
Halloween © 1983 Wizard Video Games.
A homicidal maniac has escaped from a mental institution. On Halloween night, the killer returns to his home town to wreak havoc! You are babysitting for a family in a large, two story house. Somehow the vengeful murderer has gotten inside! Can you protect the children and yourself from the fury of his knife?
In this game, you control the babysitter character, and, at certain times, the child characters. As you move through the sixteen rooms of the two story house, avoid the killer when he appears. He will attempt to stab you and the children, so look for the knife with which to defend yourself. At the top of the screen are jack-o-lanterns indicating how many of your three lives remain. At the bottom of your screen is the score.
SAVING THE CHILDREN:
Using your joystick, move the babysitter through the house, dodging the killer as you search for the terrified children. When you spot a fleeing child, position the babysitter directly over the child and press the joystick button. This will lock in the child, and he will thereafter follow the babysitter as you race for one of the four safe rooms.
Safe rooms are located at either end of the house, two on each floor. After you have successfully delivered a child to a safe room, press the joystick button. The child will be released, and the appropriate points will be added to your score. The child will disappear after points are added and the babysitter leaves the safe room.
Somewhere in the house is a knife, which the babysitter may use to stab the killer. To pick up the knife, position the babysitter over the knife and press the joystick button. If you are armed when the killer attacks, press the joystick button to thrust the knife. CAUTION: Your thrust will be successful only if the killer's knife is in the UP position. The killer will flee the room if stabbed. The knife will vanish from the babysitter's hand and reappear in another room of the house. NOTE: The babysitter may not 'lock in' a child while she is carrying the knife! She must first attempt to stab the killer.
1. In the safe rooms at either end of the house, stairways lead to the upper or lower floors.
2. Two other rooms on each level contain hallways. Entering one of these hallways will skip the babysitter two rooms to the other hall door on the same level.
Beware of electrical blackouts on the upper level, for the house is old and the wiring is faulty. At any moment, you may find yourself plunged into darkness with the killer in pursuit!
* For each child delivered to a safe room, you will receive 675 points.
* An additional 325 points is awarded each time you stab the killer with the knife hidden somewhere in the house.
* Successfully stabbing the killer twice OR rescuing five children advances you to the next level of play.
* Game play on higher levels is more difficult, and point values increase considerably. Point values in Level 2 are twice that of Level 1. Values in Level 3 are three times that of Level 1, etc.
* The killer will catch you only if he is toe-to-toe with the babysitter.
* When leading a child to a safe room, you may find the murderer in your patch. Try pushing up on the joystick. The babysitter and the child will
momentarily separate, allowing the killer to pass harmlessly between them.
* Don't bother search for the knife while leading a child, for it won't appear.
* Listen for the ominous HALLOWEEN theme music, which follows the maniac wherever he goes.