Farfalla © 1983 Zaccaria.
The backglass artwork on Farfalla is a two piece design incorporating a molded plastic insert containing most of the artwork in 3-D bass relief, and a glass with plants painted around the borders.
The title of this game translates from Italian as 'Butterfly'.
There are two different plastic inserts. The original one was apparently too risque for the US importer, so it was modified to be less revealing. Distinguishing the original from the US version is easy; in the US version, the woman in the artwork has a blue "scarf" hiding her chest and a blue belt around her waist. In the original artwork, shown on the manual cover, and the side cabinet art, the woman's chest is nearly bare.
Playfield layout described from the flippers, and going around the playfield clockwise.
* Flippers: There are two. Normal configuration, normal placement.
* Left Slingshot: Normal slingshot, normal placement. Scores 10 points and toggles the lit Inlane between right and left.
* Left Inlane: A normal inlane. Feeds the ball to the left flipper. Scores 5000 points when lit, 500 when not lit. When lit, spots one letter in L-O-V-E.
* Left Outlane: An outlane. Lose the ball. Can be lit by collecting one set of drop targets (See Operator Adjustments). Scores 10,000 points.
* Left Outlane Flipper: If the Outlane is lit, the flipper can be used once to try to save the ball.
* Left Move Ramp Target: A standup target that, if the Special Bonus is not lit, will lower the Ramp to the Upper Playfield. Scores 10,000 points.
* Special Bonus Lane (Under the Ramp): Collects Special Bonus (21,000 points multiplied by the Bonus Multiplier) and spots one set of drop targets toward lighting Multi Special when lit. Scores 10,000 points when not lit. When spotting drop targets, the player will be given whichever colour (Blue, Yellow, Red) they have the least of. If two of the colours are equal, then it will spot in the order Yellow, Red, Blue (i.e.: if the player has one Blue, two Red and two Yellow, Special Bonus will spot the next Yellow).
* Ramp: Leads to the Upper Playfield. Begins the game raised. Lowered by either of the two Move Ramp targets. Raised by lighting the Special Bonus or by sending the ball up the Ramp.
* Multi Special Target: A standup target. When lit, can be hit to collect the Multi Special (See Operator Adjustments). When not lit, scores 5,000 points. Lit by collecting Blue, Yellow, and Red drop targets. There are three sets of lights on the playfield showing the player's progress toward the Multi Special.
* Red Drop Targets: Four drop targets. Each one scores the lit value; 800 (not lit), 1000, 3000, 5000, or 8000 points. Collecting all four drop targets scores one Red Special toward the Multi-Special. Each target advances the Special Bonus one position.
* Pop Bumper Switch: Two of the four Pop Bumpers are lit at any given time. This switch alternates the two that are lit. Scores 100 points.
* L-O-V-E Lanes: Collecting each of the four letters spells LOVE and relights all four letters. The L, O, and V are standard rollover lanes. The E is a small horseshoe turn with a rollunder that leads to the Top Arch. Each scores 10,000 points when lit, 5000 when not lit.
* Top Arch: A small Top Arch. The plunger habitrail starts the ball here and the ball can be returned here via the E lane. The only exits are via the L, O, and V rollover lanes.
* Pop Bumpers: Four standard Pop Bumpers, arranged in an L shape. Hitting a lit Pop Bumper five times advances the Special Bonus one position. Scores 1000 points when lit, 100 when not lit.
* Orange Drop Targets: Three drop targets that score the lit value, 800 (not lit), 1000, 3000, or 5000 points, and advance the Orange Special. Each target advances the Special Bonus one position. Collecting the Orange Special scores the operator set value, and unlights the Orange lights.
* Blue Drop Targets: Four drop targets in the center of the playfield, angled slightly so that shots to these targets do not go straight down the middle. Like the Red Targets, each one scores the lit value; 800 (not lit), 1000, 3000, 5000, or 8000 points. Collecting all four drop targets scores one Blue Special toward the Multi-Special. Each target advances the Special Bonus one position.
* Move Ramp Target: Behind the two middle Blue Targets is a Move Ramp target. Like the Left Move Ramp target, this will lower the Ramp if the Special Bonus is not lit, and scores 10,000 points.
* Right Outlane Flipper: If the Outlane is lit, the flipper can be used once to try to save the ball.
* Right Outlane: An outlane. Lose the ball. Can be lit by collecting one set of drop targets (See Operator Adjustments). Scores 10,000 points.
* Right Inlane: A normal inlane. Feeds the ball to the right flipper. Scores 5000 points when lit, 500 when not lit. When lit, spots one letter in L-O-V-E.
* Right Slingshot: Normal slingshot, normal placement. Scores 10 points and toggles the lit Inlane between right and left.
* Manual Plunger: This is a normal plunger, except that the plunger lane is a habitrail to make more room on the playfield for the outlane flippers (React Feature). Its habitrail leads to the top arch.
* Upper Playfield: This is a clear plastic playfield covering the top left corner of the main playfield. Sending the ball up the Ramp leads to the Upper Playfield. There are two flippers here that are only active when the ball is on the playfield. There is a drain hole between the flippers leading back to the lower playfield.
* Yellow Drop Targets: On the Upper Playfield are six drop targets. Each target scores 30,000 points. Collecting all six targets without losing the ball back to the lower playfield, lights the Upper Special.
* Upper Special: A standup target in a very short lane at an angle, at the upper left corner of the Upper Playfield. When lit, can be hit to collect the Upper Special. When not lit, scores 10,000 points.
* Bonus Multiplier: Spelling L-O-V-E, either via the top rollovers or by hitting the lit inlanes, advances the Bonus Multiplier. Possible values are 2X, 5X, and 10X. After 10X Bonus Multiplier has been lit, spelling L-O-V-E does nothing. The Bonus Multiplier is used in conjunction with the Special Bonus. During game play, lighting Special Bonus is done by hitting drop targets (Red, Blue, Yellow and Orange) and Pop Bumpers. Once Special Bonus is lit, hitting the lane under the ramp scores 21,000 points (1000 for each drop target) multiplied by the Bonus Multiplier. The Bonus Multiplier is then reset to 1X and the Special Bonus returns to 0 (no lights lit).
* End-of-Ball Bonus: The bonus scored at the end of the ball is similar to collecting the Special Bonus during gameplay. The player receives 1000 points for each drop target collected toward Special Bonus, multiplied by the current Bonus Multiplier. The Bonus Multiplier is then reset to 1X for the next ball, but the collected drop targets remain collected.
* This is a fairly simple game. Hit targets, score points, advance toward a jackpot payoff (Multi Special), and start again. The key to a high score is keeping the ball in play, and collecting Extra Balls. Keep the Outlanes lit for "React" at all times, as the ball goes in there a lot, and it is quite possible to shoot from one Outlane directly into the other. The Yellow targets are lucrative, but after 21 drop targets have been hit, the Special Bonus is lit and must be collected before the Ramp can be lowered again.
* Tilt: Tilting the game during normal gameplay results in a loss of the current ball with no End-of-Ball bonus. Tilting during the timed-play last ball (see Operator Settings) results in the ball being returned to the player after it drains. The clock keeps running during the time it takes for the ball to make its way to the drain.
Portions written by David Gersic.