* One of the most important strategies to remember is to keep moving and firing at the same time. Your continuous fire will build a 'wall of fire' to protect your spaceship.
* Fly low. Most good DEFENDER players seldom fly more than two inches above the cities. This helps in protecting the Humanoids.
* Destroy the Landers, but don't shoot your Humanoids.
* Listen to the game sounds. When you hear a Humanoid's cry for help, immediately go to the rescue.
* Learn to use the scanner. Try playing DEFENDER using only the scanner. When you learn to rely on it, it will help you improve your score.
* Reversing direction suddenly is good strategy. It confuses and stops aliens. By the time the alien recovers, you can reverse directions again, and blast the alien.