Circus Charlie is a single-player horizontally-scrolling run 'n' jump game in which Charlie the clown must be guided through six different circus events. Bonus points can be won by finishing a level as quickly as possible, with further points awarded for collecting any of the money bags that occasionally appear.
Additional bonus points are awarded for completing a level without losing a life, with yet more bonuses available when specific actions are completed on a given level (see 'TIPS AND TRICKS' for details).
There are two different versions of "Circus Charlie"; one with linear stage progression and one in which players can choose which of the game's six stages to play next. In the selectable stage version, each stage can be played a maximum of six times.
The six different events are:
1. Ride a lion, jumping through fiery hoops and over blazing pots.
2. Jump over monkeys while walking a tightrope.
3. Bounce on trampolines, avoid fire breathers and sword jugglers.
4. Jump on giant, rolling beach balls.
5. Ride a pony while avoiding obstacles.
The game is over when all Circus Charlies are lost.
Circus Charlie was released in April 1984 in Japan.
Alessandro Laini, Giuseppe Strangio, Lorenzo Grande, Maurilio Pintus, and Neil Chapman all hold the record for this game with 999990 points on December 4, 1984; April 12, 1985; March 25, 1985; November 6, 1984; and June 5, 2000, respectively.
Alfa Records released a limited-edition soundtrack album for this game (Konami Game Music Vol.2 - ALC-22904) on September 25, 1986.
TIPS AND TRICKS
* Master the jump : Learning how Charlie can jump is the first step to mastering this game.
* Move forward and backward to adjust your position : If you just keep moving forward, there could be an obstacle at where you land after your jump. In such cases, move back a bit to adjust your position.
* Tons of secrets : There are a bunch of secrets bonuses hidden in this game.
1) Fire rings : Jump through a ring from your back first or jump 3 times at the starting point. Then a Charlie doll will appear from the front hanging. Catch it and get an extra player!
2) Fire rings : Jump over a pot from your back first and a coin may appear from the pot. Catch it to obtain bonus points. However, it happens only once per level. From which pot the coin may appear is determined randomly.
3) Fire rings : If you get to the goal after getting all dollar bags, a hawk brings a dollar bag and you obtain bonus points. This happens only if you have made no misses in that level.
4) Tightrope : If you jump over the brown and purple monkeys at once, you get a 1000-point bonus.
5) Tightrope : If you perform perpendicular jumps over all monkeys and complete the level, a hawk will bring a Charlie doll and you get an extra player.
6) Tightrope : Jump over the purple monkey from your back first and you get a 5000-point bonus.
7) Tightrope : Touch the hook beyond the goal and a dollar back appears. Reach the goal and you get a 5000-points bonus.
8) Trampoline : Get all dollar bags and reach the goal. A hawk will bring a dollar bag and you earn bonus points.
9) Acrobatic jump : Use the spring only once after jumping off the horse and get to the goal. A hawk will bring a Charlie doll and you get an extra player.
10) Trapeze : Grab onto a trapeze by skipping one and get bonus points.
11) Trapeze : Bounce off a trampoline and then grab onto a trapeze to get bonus points.