Main CPU : MOS Technology M6502 (@ 2.5 Mhz)
Sound Chips : (2x) POKEY (@ 1.25 Mhz)
Screen orientation : Horizontal
Players : 1
Control : dial
Buttons : 1
This was the second prototype of "Major Havoc", the first was called "Tollian's Web".
Differences with the final game :
* There is no music in Alpha One.
* The story of the Vaxxian is much different. Notice the Catastro-fighter has a different name, as does the vaxxian home planet.
* There isn't any enemy scoring on the 'story' screen.
* Many of the sounds are different. These include the player firing sound and the enemy explosions. The sound of Rex 'frying' is missing.
* Some graphics are different, such as the Space station explosions.
* Many other small differences and the overall unfinished feel of the game.
TIPS AND TRICKS
* Warp Codes : It's possible to warp to higher levels in Alpha One from the start of the game by using certain codes. This is useful to not only be able to get through the game more quickly, but each warp also gives a fairly hefty bonus for carrying it out. This is done by playing the 'mini-Breakout' game at the bottom right-hand corner of the screen when the game starts. The game will have a phrase such as, 'Enter Red Warp 00' at the bottom of the screen. What you do is use the controls to 'dial in' the first digit of the appropriate code given below, then press fire to serve the ball and repeat as necessary. The codes are :
Red code - 23, 250,000 pts, Level 4.
Yellow code - 46, 600,000 pts, Level 8.
Green code - 51, 700,000 pts, Level 9.
Note that you can only enter the codes in the order they're given - it's not possible to enter, say, the red warp code followed directly by the green warp code.