* How to play (from the USA manual):
- Objective: The first goal in 8 Eyes is to discover the correct order in which to play the first seven levels. The levels must be played in a certain order because each Boss Enemy is only vulnerable to one sword. The Bosses can be damaged with the Special Weapons found in each level, and by attacking them with Cutrus; but they can only be eliminated with the proper sword. After a level is completed, the player receives a new sword, which is effective on only one of the remaining Bosses.
- Each Boss holds a jewel. After defeating the Boss, the jewel appears, and when Orin touches it, the password for this point of the game is displayed.
- While in the first seven levels, you must locate the seven scrolls of jewel placement. These contain hints which are used to place the eight jewels into the altar which appears after Level 8 is completed. The jewels must be placed correctly in order to complete the game (maybe!).
- Lives: This is a one-life game, meaning there is one Orin per game. If you lose the one Orin, the game is over. No free men are awarded. This is reality! However, there are many opportunities to gain Life Power during the game.
- Doors: Throughout the game, you will find closed doors. To open a door, look for a lever or button somewhere in the room. Hit it, and the door will open for a short time. Some levels and buttons must be hit with Cutrus.
- Crosses: After destroying some enemies, a red or white cross will appear. Catch the white cross for Item power, the red cross for Orin or Cutrus power. If Orin catches the red cross while Cutrus is flying, Orin gets all of the power. If Cutrus catches the red cross while flying, he gets all of the power. If the red cross is caught while Cutrus is on Orin's shoulder, the power is split between them.
* Weapon items (from the USA manual): When you destroy certain enemies, Weapon Items will appear. Collect the Item quickly, or it will disappear.
* Power-up items (from the USA manual): These items are hidden in each level. Use your sword, Cutrus, or the boomerang to find the items hidden in the walls. The items can be collected by Orin or Cutrus; but when collecting Life Power items, whoever touches the Item receives the extra power.
Blue Jar: Increases power meters by one section.
C Jar: Increases Cutrus' power to full, or Orin's power by about one-half.
Z Jar: Doubles sword power for a limited time.
G Jar: Makes Orin invincible for a limited time.
S Jar: Fully revives either Orin or Cutrus.
* Hints and strategies (from the USA manual):
- The first seven levels must be finished in the correct order. After defeating a Boss you are awarded a more powerful sword, but it will only be effective against one of the remaining bosses. The sword you start with is weak and only good for a country near France.
- It is important for you to learn which Special Weapon works best against each Boss. This will make it easier to defeat the Boss.
- Some enemies can only be defeated by Cutrus. Find out who they are, and stand back while Cutrus does the work. It is very important to learn to use Cutrus, while you are standing back and while you are fighting. Some of the tougher enemies can be distracted by Cutrus. Send out Cutrus to attack, and some enemies will turn their back on you to chase him - a good opportunity to hit them from behind. Backstabbing is unfair, you say? Well, don't turn your back on these guys - they're no gentlemen!
- Try to find all of the Blue Jars, so that if you find the S Jar, you will have more power.
- Make sure you find all of the scrolls, and save the clues - the end is worth the effort it takes to solve the riddle of the 8 Eyes.
* Boss enemies (from the USA manual):
- Arabia Castle: The master of this castle is Ghadie Rashal. He is an expert knife thrower, and has a very nasty disposition! When you defeat him, you will get a white Diamond called the Tear of the Nile.
- Spain Castle: This castle is ruled by Enriquez Bartona. He is a master of fencing - perhaps even better than Orin. Your reward for defeating him will be a giant black pearl called the Black Butterfly of Pereshusu.
- India Castle: Here you will face Syfer Nasim. A Yoga master, he has the ability to transport himself. When you attack him, he may vanish, only to re-appear behind you - beware! Defeat him and you will get a yellow obsidian known as the Wing of Angels.
- Africa Castle: In this castle, you will encounter the fearsome King Amin, the most powerful warrior in all of Africa. He wields a giant axe, which he may throw at you when you least expect it. The jewel that you must wrest from him is an orange topaz called the Devil of Zimbabwe.
- Germany Castle: The master of this castle is the handsome but deadly Walter Schmitt. Don't let his gentle appearance fool you - he is a cruel madman who will smile when he destroys you! He uses a giant throwing star. When you defeat him, you will get a purple amethyst, the fabled Fairy of Granada.
- Italy Castle: Here you will face Geno Comechio, who throw razor-sharp steel cards with deadly accuracy. If you succeed in overcoming him, your prize will be a green emerald known as the Dancing Princess of Frenellia.
- Egypt Castle: This castle is ruled by Nari Tanatos. He is an evil sorceror who throws white power balls from his staff. Beware of his leaping ability - he can jump right over your head! Defeat him and you will get a big red ruby called the Blood of Tutankhamen.
- Castle of Ruth: Here you will meet the lovely but lethal Ruth Grandier, whose cruel bullwhip seems to have a life of its own. The speed and ferocity of her attack will astound you! The jewel that she guards is a glittering blue diamond called the Nail of Nightmares.