Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition was released in March 1992 in the Japanese arcades. It was known there as the 21st video game made for this system.
Known export release: "Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition [B-Board 91635B-2]
In Japan, the apostrophe-like character on the game's official logo is actually a prime symbol and thus the official title is pronounced Street Fighter II Dash - Champion Edition.
This game is an enhanced version of "Street Fighter II - The World Warrior
Added an alternate color scheme for each character and the ability to select boss characters (Balrog, Vega, Sagat, M. Bison).
Each stage had different background colors from the original (mainly time of day changes), here are the background changes :
1) Ryu stage : now has midnight blue sky instead of red-orange, and has yellow moon.
2) E. Honda stage : the walls are now yellow, the big picture (excluding the sun) is now blue-purple. The 'Victory' sign is now red-orange. The Hiragana Yu on the left is now red.
3) Blanka stage : the snake is now red, and the houses are now wood color.
4) Guile stage : The sky is now sunset. The tinted canopy on the jet is now purple. The symbol on the ground is now red, and the missile linings are now red.
5) Ken stage : The boat is now blue. The 2 guys on top are now wearing brown clothes and orange clothes. The guy in the trenchcoat and hat is now yellow.
6) Chun Li stage : The 2 customers now wear pink, the meat store's roof is now orange and its sign is now green, the meats on the ceiling are now brown, the "Shanghai Friend Corridor" sign is now pale green with red letters, and the ground is now a darker color.
7) Zangief stage : The floor is now gold and to the left is now copper. The "Attention
" flyers are now red with yellow letters.
8) Dhalsim stage : The stage now has blue curtains, silver stone floor, and blue carpet.
9) Balrog (
M. Bison) stage : The floor is now purple.
10) Vega (
Balrog) stage : The stage now sports a dark blue hue, and the Flamenco dancers are now dressed in pink.
11) Sagat stage : Buddhist statue is now gold, and the grass is now a darker green.
12) M. Bison (
Vega) stage : The sky is evening this time.
New moves were added for some characters.
The portraits of Chun Li and M. Bison have been recolored.
Overall hit damage was reduced (favoring combos attacks instead of special moves).
Special moves were tweaked a bit (i.e. : the fighting styles of Ryu and Ken were distinguishable from one another)
The main title screen was changed from black to blue.
Various cosmetic enhancements were made to each character's physical appearance.
Ryu's original SFII stage featured breakable 'Fuurinkazan' signs. These signs have been removed in this game and are not seen again until "Hyper Street Fighter II - The Anniversary Edition".
In Ken's original SFII stage, there were two barrels and a stack of boxes which were a single breakable item. From "Street Fighter II' - Champion Edition" to "Super Street Fighter II Turbo
" ("Super Street Fighter II X - Grand Master Challenge" in Japan), there is just a single barrel in Ken's stage. The two barrels and stack of boxes from the original SFII would later return in "Hyper Street Fighter II - The Anniversary Edition".
Sagat's stage in the original SFII had a palm tree in the foreground. The palm tree is gone in this game and does not return.