Emulated in MAME ! [COIN-OP] Pinball
Scared Stiff © 1996 Midway.
Model Number: 50048
Main CPU : Motorola M6809 (@ 2 MHz)
Sound CPU : ADSP2105 (@ 10 MHz)
Sound Chip : DMA-driven DAC
Scared Stiff was released in September 1996. 4,028 units were produced.
The animation for Meat Head shows a cow moo'ing.
There are 3 video tapes on the backglass :
'Corn Man from Mars' was Pat McMahan's name for the Martians that Doug Watson designed for Attack from Mars.
'Black Thursday' refers to the day everyone was laid off at WMS.
'Curse of the Zombie Cows'. Them cows again!
One of the deadheads, Bad Head, is playfield designer Steve Ritchie.
The cat in the backglass was drawn from a photo of designer Dennis Nordman's wife's cat, Chelsea.
In Attract mode, watch the list of Elvira's Favorite Stiffs. Sometimes DOHO is displayed as the oldest stiff at the bottom of the list.
Date : September 4, 1996
- Initial release to production.
Date : September 16, 1996
- Added French and Spanish translations.
- Saved by the Spell is now active during Multiball.
Date : September 30, 1996
- Fixed a display glitch in The Spell is Cast.
Date : November 13, 1996
- This revision updates the coffin to handle ball jams.
Date : November 21, 1996
- Replay level maximums have been fixed.
- The JACKPOT lamp on the left ramp during hurry-ups has been fixed.
- Fixed 'Favorite Stiffs' score display.
Date : February 7, 1997
- Improved Coffin Multiball display effect.
- Eliminated problem at ball start that could cause resets.
- Deadheads now award the correct value.
- Fixed skill shot bug that denied points to players 2,3, and 4.
- Coffin jam compensation improved.
- Attract Mode Spider adjustment improved to allow operator-settable delays.
- Fixed bad switch logic on Leaper targets.
- Fixed broken spider logic.
- Fixed lamps for a broken spider.
During Attract mode, press one of the following sequences :
B, 3L, 15R, 23L, 1R (that spells cow!)
B, 13L, 15R, 15L, 1R.
B, 13L, 1R, 2L, 1R.
B, 3L, 10R, 19R, 1L.
Please note that the L & R are reversable on all the codes to this game.
When Drac says 'Hurry, stop the spider!' the display usually shows a spider crawling up the web. But if instead the display shows the number 3 crawling up the web, then press the startbutton 3 times. This awards an extra Spider Spin.
Achieve a high score and enter the initials MOO.
With your machine set to the correct date, power up on any of these days for a birthday fanfare :
Mike 3/16/65 (Mike Boon, software)
Cameron 9/18/73 (Cameron Silver, software)
Eydie 1/5 (Mike Boon's wife)
Paul 11/11/57 (Paul Heitsch, sound/music)
Lindsey 9/24/86 (artist Greg Freres' daughter)
Lauren 8/30/89 (also Greg Freres' daughter)
Also listed in the ROM but not functional - Damien 5/22.
Page last modified on October 29, 2012