Emulated in MAME ! [Console] Famicom Game
Mighty Bomb Jack © 1986 Tecmo, Limited.
Mighty Bomb Jack is a platform game by Tecmo and based on the arcade game Bomb Jack originally released in 1984. The kingdom was at peace until the day the evil king Belzebut kidnapped the good King Pamera, the queen and their daughter. The Mighty brothers rushed to the rescue, but they all failed except for Jack. The youngest of the brothers now goes on a journey to Belzebut's impenetrable pyramid in an attempt to save the kingdom and the royal family. The goal of the game is rather simple at first glance - Jack must explore the pyramid's many rooms, collect as many bombs and treasures as possible, unlock exit doors, and all of this within a strict time limit. However, some levels have multiple routes and exit doors, sending Jack to alternate areas forwards, or backwards. Things quickly become even more complicated and the game later features special exit doors (unlocked by collecting Sphinx statues), hidden passageways and secret rooms (some even give Jack a chance to rescue his kidnapped brothers), as well as level warps and shortcuts. Just like in the original arcade game, Jack has the ability to jump to dizzying heights, and to glide in the air and control his fall. His jumping ability also allows him to open the numerous red treasure chests scattered around each stage, which contain items such as treasure bags (score), gold coins, bombs, Mighty drink (extra time) or the powerful Mighty coins. The latter are at the core of the gameplay and allow Jack to increase his Mighty power. Pressing the B button during the game allows Jack to transform into three different super mighty forms (each consuming an increasing amount of Mighty coins) - Blue Jack can open orange treasure chests, Orange Jack can open any treasure chest by touching them and Green Jack changes all his enemies into gold coins. However, if Jack is too greedy and collect too many Mighty coins (or Mighty drinks), he will be sent to the dreaded torture room. The game also constantly evaluates Jack and awards him with the elusive Game Evaluation Value score, based on his level of skills and reflexes during gameplay. Mighty Bomb Jack consists of 16 large areas and a final round.
At the end of each level, collect the lit bombs in order and leave to receive 50, 000 bonus points.
Bomb Rooms : You can choose one of two procedures in these rooms, depending on whether you want to earn bonus points or warp further into the game. First, when you enter the bomb room and touch the first bomb, it will light itself. Pick it up, and another one will light up. Continue picking up only the lit bombs; when you pick up the last bomb, 50, 000 bonus points will be added to your score. Second, when you enter the bomb room and touch the first bomb, it will light itself. This time, DON'T pick up the lit bomb; pick up all the other bombs, leaving the lit bomb till last. When you finally pick it up, you'll automatically warp to the next bomb room.
Where to find the Crystal balls...
The First Ball :
1. When you are in Room 7, find the two rows of fire that extend from the right wall in the second part of this room.
2. Jump into the fire closest to the right wall.
3. Touch the sphinx that appears, and a door will open below you.
4. Go through the door and up the green shaft to the upper-right corner.
5. Jump against the right wall to find an invisible chest that contains another sphinx.
6. Get the sphinx from the chest, and a door will open above you.
7. Enter the chamber, and jump on the row of chests above the third stone from the left to touch the crystal ball.
The Second Ball :
1. When you are in Room 12, find the lone stone in the middle of the room.
2. Jump just to the right of this stone to find an invisible chest.
3. Get the sphinx from the chest, and a door will open in the lava.
4. Enter the lava door, and you'll appear in a many-roomed maze.
5. Find the room with three brown chests along the left wall.
6. Start jumping on the top chest, and work your way down until you find another sphinx.
7. On the floor of that room, jump around to find an invisible chest containing another sphinx, which will open another door inside the maze.
8. Go through this door, and jump on the far-right stone several times.
9. Change yourself to green, and then jump on the stone underneath the stone you just jumped on.
Nintendo Game Boy Advance (2002) included in "Bomb Jack World" [Prototype]
Nintendo 3DS [eShop] (oct.25, 2012) "Mighty Bomb Jack
Commodore C64 (1991)
Commodore Amiga (1991)
Atari ST (1991)
PC [MS-DOS] (1991)
Arcade [VS. System] (1986) "Vs. Mighty Bomb Jack
Game's description by Laurent Kermel; http://www.videogameden.com
Page last modified on February 29, 2016